msyavuz
Hello, i am a newbie in both phoenix and elixir and its been a blast so far. I have a question about ecto schemas and phoenix contexts.
Suppose i have two tables called clubs and club_members. While generating a new schema with phx.gen.schema
-
Should i create the club schema under club context ?
-
Or should i create club schema without context and put member schema under club context?
First approach results in module name being Club.Club but directory structure seems better. While module naming in second approach seems better but club schema sits outside club directory.
I guess what i am asking is which one of these is better?
/001 club/ member.ex
/002 club.ex
/001 club/ member.ex
/001 club/ club.ex
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachallaun
The most common way to solve this would be to call the context
clubs, so you would haveClubs.ClubandClubs.Member.sodapopcan
Generally if you are using contexts as a boundary, then you put all the schemas belonging to a context under it.
Also by convention, if there isn’t a good unique name for a context (which there often isn’t) then it’s the pluralized version of its primary schema. You could just call your context
Clubif you want, but this can become confusing and it also makes it impossible to alias the schema within the context as they will have the same name. So the “normal” thing to do is this:This way the directory structure mimics the module structure. Some people like to put the context file in the context directory, which is fine, whatever floats your boat!
Technically, though, you are free to do whatever you want! The generators push us towards certain conventions, but otherwise Phoenix doesn’t impose any conventions on us.
msyavuz
Thank you for the explanation!