kevinlang

kevinlang

Hey all,

We have made an Ecto3 Adapter for SQLite3, ecto_sqlite3!

We have successfully on-boarded the full suite of integration tests (320+) that ecto and ecto_sql provide, as well as writing a good amount of our own integration tests and functional tests for the query-generation logic, giving us a great degree of confidence that this adapter is stable and ready for everyday usage. Due to its newness, it hasn’t seen much production use, but we are eager to have people start trying it out and let us know any issues they hit.

This adapter is mainly possible thanks to the exqlite SQLite3 driver, which is an Elixir-written successor to the Erlang SQLite3 NIF esqlite. It leverages Dirty NIF functionality to make the code easier to reason about and maintain.

Lastly, we have begun work on adding a --database sqlite3 option to Phoenix to make this adapter easy to use for new projects. Of course, even without those changes, switching from e.g., Postgres to SQLite3 is usually only a couple of lines of config changes :slight_smile:

Feel free to file any issues you encounter in the Github repo.

cc @warmwaffles , who lead most of the development

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Awesome! You guys beat me to it but I’ll be happy to steal your tests for my library. :smiley:

Thanks for the hard work! :heart:

warmwaffles

warmwaffles

Heh, @dimitarvp don’t be shy, I actually used your repo for a little while. I was trying to figure out how I was going to implement the adapter.

Something worth noting, the ecto_sqlite3 ecto adapter doesn’t necessarily depend on the exqlite library. It is entirely possible that we could flip implementations in and out. As long as the driver library implements db_connection it should in theory just be a shoe in replacement. This could also mean we make a behaviour library that we just implement for the drivers and ecto_sqlite3 can be completely agnostic to what backend would be preferrable.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

That’s what I was thinking.

Exactly.

Thanks, man. For the kind words as well.

dijoen

dijoen

Hi,

this is marvelous! I am going to develop an application for an embedded device with limited memory, so sqlite is ideal here.

Many thanks for your work!

FreedomBen

FreedomBen

This is absolutely wonderful! Thanks so much for doing this. I’ve been wishing for this for quite some time.

the_wildgoose

the_wildgoose

Wow! This is amazing - Only a few weeks back I really wanted something like this!

Now at risk of coming across as greedy… Can I introduce you to “DuckDB”… It can be compiled against the sqlite C API, so seems like there is some chance of out of the box chance of getting something functioning. That said, I believe it’s SQL dialect is postgresql, so I suspect it would take work to make ecto integration work

My use case (probably) doesn’t require ecto integration though, I just have an urgent need to store some time series data in an embedded appliance where disk space is very minimal. I really just want sqlite with columnar storage for efficiency…

I would be willing to sponsor some work on this if someone wanted to pick this up?

warmwaffles

warmwaffles

I’m actually going to take a look at what is necessary to get a separate driver for DuckDB built. It’s a data store that also interests me greatly. Originally what started me down the sqlite path was using an ORC file to store timeseries data, but it was a massive pain to have to keep rewriting the file everytime I wanted to append data.

At minimum, I’ll probably build a really simple interface similar to Exqlite where you can build prepared statements and run those statements against the database.

As for getting an ecto adapter in there, that may prove a little difficult. But I believe we could shim in the ability to specify the driver for the adapter as well via a quick config.

use Ecto.Repo,
  otp_app: :my_timeseries_app,
  adapter: Ecto.Adapters.SQLite3,
  driver: DuckDB

Although, I am unsure if DuckDB provides the ability to use the RETURNING clause that SQLite3 just added.

Anyways, at minimum a driver in elixir is really easy to do.

Sebb

Sebb

Note, that SQLite is also very resilient. If your hardware does not break and you don’t do anything stupid, your data is safe. This is very important for embedded devices, because normally you have to expect a power failure any time.

the_wildgoose

the_wildgoose

Hi Sebb, Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, sqlite is an incredible database! This is an amazing integration, thanks to both of these projects. I will definitely be looking to use ecto+sqlite on an upcoming project

WRT embedded, there are lots of challenges here. Another is that storage is not infinite and usually quite slow (and ram in short supply). A typical sql database is going to store something like: timestamp (4 bytes), tag (umpteen bytes), value (say 8 bytes)

In contrast RRD will just store basically the value… However, they have trouble with non square datasets, ie varying tags

Dbs like influxdb can store the values as increments from the previous value and handle varying tags. So data usage can be only a few bits per sample sometimes.

So notwithstanding your point about data security, storage requirements for the data are also quite important. This is a difficult problem. I have pondered a simple DETS or cubdb db. However, I am fairly sure that I will reverse into writing a whole timeseries db, hence looking for a real one!

Sebb

Sebb

The requirements depend on the data you are storing.
It may be OK to lose some samples in a time series, but you can’t lose vital config data.
DETS will not help you in case of a power failure at the wrong time.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews