lpvm

lpvm

I’m trying to setup edeliver and distillery to automate the deployment of my prototype to a VPS jail (running FreeBSD). That jail is configured to receive ssh in a different port than 22. This part is working fine as .ssh/config is setup.

The first thing I don’t understand is in .deliver/config.
In my local development box, the app is being built in ~/prog/elixir/orif/trunk.
As per the edeliver instructions,

  • BUILD_HOST : the host where to build the release
  • BUILD_USER : the local user at build host
  • BUILD_AT : the directory on build host where to build the release. must exist.

What is shown in a guide is that BUILD and PRODUCTION have same configs.

should BUILD_HOST have the name of my Linux box?
should BUILD_USER have the username I’m working with at my box?
should BUILD_AT be inside that ~/prog/elixir/orif/trunk directory or outside, for example in ~/prog/elixir/orif/build?

As for the ssh deployment. I’ve not been able to configure edeliver to mimic what I do at the command line, i.e., to ssh -i some_identity_file -p 22000 elixir@my_host. It always asks for my local user at the VPS at the standard 22 ssh port. How to do it?

Most Liked

aseigo

aseigo

The values of the BUILD_* vars reflect where you want to build. If you are building on your local machine, then indeed they can just be your local system and user. Where I work we have a couple of different production targets (OS / versions), and for each of those production environments we have a (or more) build and test server that mirrors those setups. This way, no matter what OS the developer is working on, they can build for the correct production target.

So we point the BUILD_* to the remote host, the build user (which all the devs have ssh access to on the build systems) and we put BUILD_AT somewhere under /tmp. Builds then happen remotely on the right build system. Similarly for staging/testing.

To get the port for ssh (we actually have one system that has a similar config to yours: the deploy goes over an ssh server listening on port 2200) we currently configure this in the developer’s local ~/.ssh/config:

Host sshalias
    HostName actual.domain.com
    Port 2200

And then the deploy host in the edeliver config is noted as sshalias (matching whatever value is in the ~/.ssh/config). I am not entirely happy with that solution, and I wish edeliver had a more straight-forward way of defining alternative ssh ports .. but so far we have not found it.

Last Post!

aseigo

aseigo

Your post motivated me to glance at the edeliver code in question and, for the curious, it seems that there are two functions in the shell script libexec/core: __sync_remote and __remote that initiate the ssh connections. They do not have a way to take a param for the ssh port, but were that to be added would allow setting the ssh port directly in the edeliver config if the usage of those two functions (only two scripts in libexec use them) were updated to pass on the relevant port #. So … not a tiny job, but not a big one either.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews