quda
I’ve got this function, translated from an old codebase (imperative language) into Elixir, by our contractor.
def pub0(payload) when is_map(payload) do
if ["country", "commodity", "share", "mon", "cog", "esa1"] |> Enum.all?(fn x -> Map.has_key?(payload, x) end) &&
Map.get(payload, "esa1") == "hs10" &&
is_intger(Map.get(payload, "cog") do
payload = Map.put(payload, "itime", utimestamp(2))
emporio_ts(Jason.encode!(payload))
end
end
The function works fine, it performs its job, but I don’t like the code structure:
There is an if with tree conditions that have to evaluate all to true (logically: if (true & true & true) then …). If satisfices this, then adds new property to the object and finally calls another function.
It does not seem functional. Is there a way to refactory the function in a (more) elegant and functional manner? And also more comprehensible, consistent, shorter ?
Thanks! ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
trisolaran
Personally, I’d probably go for this:
al2o3cr
The usual micro-scale cleanups could help (extract the parts of that giant conditional into functions with meaningful names, for instance) but the shape-checking on
payloadmakes me wonder if it should be a struct.That would require much larger changes to the calling code, but simplify
pub0considerably.quda
This looks very cool, but it fails:
(MatchError) no match of right hand side value.Maybe because the payload has much more properties than those six tested for. The rest are not mandatory but in total are ~30 properties.
Actually I learnt that (in prod) the number of props of the payload is variable, between 20 and 35.
trisolaran
No, maps (thankfully) support partial matches
Share your code and the exact map you’re passing to
pub0, I’m sure we can figure out what’s going onquda
I’ve learnt map support partial matches but still it fails with that error.
Unfortunately, I can’t share more code/data (for legal reasons), I have to debug it myself.
cmo
It can’t fall with that catch-all returning
nil…?