Elixir 1.14 missing from erlang-solutions.com

erlang-solutions.com still offers Elixir 1.13.4 as the latest version – anyone knows how that repo gets updated? I have no packaging experience, but would be willing to help with whatever needs to be done to package 1.14 into a deb available through the erlang-solutions apt repo.

Since on this and erlang forums there is no their group you would need either know someone from it and contact him directly or use contact information on their page.

As a 20+ years Debian user I gave up on all 3rd party repo long time ago. You either use the packages from the distro or compile yourself. Elixir is a no-brainier: It compiles in one minute, and has no strange compile time dependency.

3 Likes

You can also use GitHub - asdf-vm/asdf: Extendable version manager with support for Ruby, Node.js, Elixir, Erlang & more

7 Likes

The nice thing with ESL is that you can pick the Erlang packages you want. In our environment there is no point having observer for example.

+1 to asdf on my dev machine, super painless.

And hexpm/elixir container images for releases, never more than 15 minutes out of date!

it is, but maybe a little scary. Also there are some incomplete instructions out there (missing hex and rebar eg). Nerves comes with proper instructions, I copy the relevant (non-nerves part) here:

git clone https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf.git ~/.asdf --branch v0.10.0

# The following steps are for bash. If you’re using something else, do the
# equivalent for your shell.
echo -e '\n. $HOME/.asdf/asdf.sh' >> ~/.bashrc
echo -e '\n. $HOME/.asdf/completions/asdf.bash' >> ~/.bashrc # optional
source ~/.bashrc

asdf plugin-add erlang
asdf plugin-add elixir

# (omitting wxgtk-part as it is not needed for most)

# asdf is now setup and one can install erlang and elixir.
# asdf install erlang <TAB> gives available versions. 
# Latest releases at the time of this writing would be

asdf install erlang 25.1.1
asdf install elixir 1.14.1-otp-25

# you can have as many versions as you like installed at a time and then select them by

asdf global erlang 25.1.1
asdf global elixir 1.14.1-otp-25

# after any "asdf global xxx"  It is important to update the versions of hex and rebar used by Elixir, 
# even if you already had Elixir installed.

mix local.hex
mix local.rebar

# and most people will also want to have
mix archive.install hex phx_new

https://hexdocs.pm/nerves/installation.html#all-platforms

5 Likes