marcandre

marcandre

Compilation time for our project degraded from ~26 seconds to ~32 seconds (~23% slower) :disappointed_face:.

Did anyone else compare compilation performance on their project?

$ time mix compile --force && elixir -v
Compiling 1397 files (.ex)
Generating Enaia.Cldr for 2 locales named [:en, :und] with a default locale named :en
Generated enaia app

real	0m25.922s
user	1m59.042s
sys	0m16.722s
Erlang/OTP 27 [erts-15.2.7.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]

Elixir 1.18.4 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 27)

time mix compile --force && elixir -v
Compiling 1397 files (.ex)
Generating Enaia.Cldr for 2 locales named [:en, :und] with a default locale named :en
Generated enaia app

real	0m32.299s
user	2m48.014s
sys	0m20.359s
Erlang/OTP 28 [erts-16.1.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]

Elixir 1.19.1 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 28)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

vanderhoop

vanderhoop

The compiler is definitely doing more work overall in 1.19.X, so make sure you’re leveraging the MIX_OS_DEPS_COMPILE_PARTITION_COUNT env var, described here: elixir/CHANGELOG.md at v1.19 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

If the compilation is still longer overall after setting that value to around half your cores, I’d open a bug, as I don’t think that’s expected.

vanderhoop

vanderhoop

Also, you’re the freedom_formatter guy! Thanks for the trailing commas :heart:!

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Can you try with the —profile time option to mix compile? I am suspecting a type system related slowdown (you can also try v1.19 branch, we just pushed more optimizations).

marcandre

marcandre OP

Thanks. Unfortunately specifying MIX_OS_DEPS_COMPILE_PARTITION_COUNT=2 didn’t noticeably change the results.

marcandre

marcandre OP

Thanks @josevalim . I’m not sure what to look for when using –profile time… There’s a lot of output :sweat_smile:. What can I do to help figure out the source of the slowdown? Do I need the output from 1.18 and what would I compare?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Wait a second. Compilation took 21s but the Mix task took 33s?! Try running “mix compile —force” with MIX_DEBUG=1 and see which task is taking long.

marcandre

marcandre OP

Right. There’s a sizeable delay that doesn’t have any output, even with MIX_DEBUG=1:

MIX_DEBUG=1 time mix compile --force --profile time
-> Running mix CLI
-> Running mix loadconfig (inside Enaia.MixProject)
<- Ran mix loadconfig in 4ms
-> Running mix compile --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
-> Running mix loadpaths --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
-> Running mix deps.loadpaths --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
-> Running mix archive.check --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
<- Ran mix archive.check in 0ms
<- Ran mix deps.loadpaths in 366ms
<- Ran mix loadpaths in 367ms
-> Running mix compile.all --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
-> Running mix compile.phoenix_live_view --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
<- Ran mix compile.phoenix_live_view in 0ms
-> Running mix compile.erlang --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
<- Ran mix compile.erlang in 0ms
-> Running mix compile.elixir --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
Compiling 1397 files (.ex)
[profile] ...
[profile] Finished cycle resolution in 1ms
[profile] Finished compilation cycle of 1648 modules in 19888ms
[profile] Finished group pass check of 1648 modules in 1395ms
<- Ran mix compile.elixir in 30639ms
-> Running mix compile.app --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
Generated enaia app
<- Ran mix compile.app in 26ms
-> Running mix compile.surface --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
<- Ran mix compile.surface in 1604ms
-> Running mix compile.yecc --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
<- Ran mix compile.yecc in 0ms
-> Running mix compile.leex --force --profile time (inside Enaia.MixProject)
<- Ran mix compile.leex in 0ms
<- Ran mix compile.all in 32300ms
<- Ran mix compile in 32792ms
<- Ran mix CLI in 32848ms
       33.08 real       171.14 user        20.15 sys
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Ok, good news is that it is not compiler related, bad news is that we don’t have instrumentation around the areas that are slow now.

When does the delay happen? Before it starts compiling each module? In the middle? At the end? My suggestion is to add some print statements around mix/compilers/elixir.ex and try to get a feeling where in the code the slowdown is.

marcandre

marcandre OP

Paying more attention to it, the mysterious delay is after the “compilation cycle” and before the “group pass check”:

[profile] Finished compilation cycle of 1648 modules in 19888ms
# At least 10 seconds passes
[profile] Finished group pass check of 1648 modules in 1395ms
<- Ran mix compile.elixir in 30639ms

Is this when the type checking is happening?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

No. I have a hunch this is protocol consolidation. If you open up mix/compilers/elixir.ex, you will see each_cycle and after_compile callbacks, measure those!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews