cblavier
Hi,
I’m in the process of upgrading from Elixir 1.17.x to Elixir 1.19.x. I’ve noticed that running mix loadpaths now compiles the entire application (including dependencies and application code), rather than just the dependencies. I observe the same behavior with mix deps.compile.
In our CI pipeline, it’s important to compile dependencies and application code separately to enable efficient layer caching.
Is this a regression in Elixir 1.19.x? Is there an alternative approach to achieve this separation with the new version?
Thank you for your help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
I never used
mix loadpaths, though I am under the impression, thatmix deps.compilealways compiled all “children” under the umbrella, though with “plain singular” apps I never observed the described behaviour.I do not have a testbed for non-umbrella apps currently.
PS: Just checked, with 1.18, all apps under the umbrella are built when using
mix deps.compile.cblavier
Ok, I never realized it was because we’re also using an umbrella app.
Anyway, I still need a solution to prevent my CI from recompiling all my deps whenever a source file changes
josevalim
mix deps.compile --skip-umbrella-childrenshould do the trick.cblavier
@josevalim Am I missing something?
josevalim
Which Elixir version are you at?
mix deps.compile --skip-umbrella-childrenworked fine for me locally, both at the umbrella root and inside a child project.cblavier
ChatGPT to the rescue
The error is caused by the command you’re running:
mix deps.compile –-skip-umbrella-childrenNotice the double dashes before skip-umbrella-children. The error message:
** (Mix) Unknown dependency –-skip-umbrella-children for environment devProblem:
You’re using the wrong type of dash before skip-umbrella-children.
You have
–-skip-umbrella-children(an en dash –plus hyphen -), when it should be --skip-umbrella-children(two standard hyphens).This often happens when copying from formatted text editors that substitute double hyphens with a long dash.
lud
(I fixed the post if someone reads José’s post)
josevalim
Gah! Apparently my phone sneaked in some weird Unicode dash! Thanks!