AndyL
It looks like Elixir 1.9 Releases are a subset of Distillery. (Is that right?)
When should someone use Elixir 1.9 Releases vs Distillery?
Are the two approaches mutually exclusive? Are there situations where you would want to use both toolsets?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Elixir releases are a subset of distillery that’s correct. Currently there’s a bunch of overlap in functionality, as distillery basically had/has to do all the stuff elixir releases do. Especially as it’s still used for elixir <1.9 projects. Distillery also does more than elixir core releases. Most notably is the support for hot code updates in distillery.
As for when to use which: If you’re on elixir 1.9 (possibly without distillery already) I’d use core releases unless you need features only distillery provides. I’ve also heard people in slack note that elixir releases seem smaller than distillery ones, but I cannot confirm that, but might be worth looking into if file size is a concern.
I’d not try to mix them, as they are similar, but also very different: e.g. the cli in
bin/is completely different. Instead of changing distillery though I’d rather hope that distillery’s functionality will over time be extracted in (possibly smaller, more purpose build) new libraries, which hook into core releases using the:stepsconfiguration available. I’m not sure how well this is possible for e.g. hot updates, but I’d expect adding things like build hooks or custom cli commands should be possible this way.hubertlepicki
You want one or another, I think. I was sort of forced to switch to 1.9 releases because stumbled upon bugs with distillery + erlang + elixir in most recent versons. Which is a recurring pattern, and something to expect from external library.
Elixir releases are now internal part of Elixir, which means the chances are they won’t break as much on updating as distillery did. There’s absolutely no blame on distillery side, it’s just that carrying about multiple Elixir versions is obviously more difficult than carrying about one single current Elixir version. So the code base is in several places overcomplicated / bug prone because of that requirement, I suppose.
I was pleasantly surprised with the migration. I am very happy with how runtime config is handled. I kind of miss deploy hooks not being there but easy to work around, and probably for the best.
So in the long run, I think Elixir releases are the way to go for pretty much everyone. I suspect there’ll be a way to extend them with tools built on top of them, rather than distillery soon, so if you need some of the missing functionality you’ll be able to add it this way.