bopjesvla

bopjesvla

A lot of functions in the standard library trod along happily if a misspelled keyword list option is passed:

iex(3)> String.split("a1a11a", "1", triim: true)
["a", "a", "", "a"]

Compare to Python, which has keyword arguments baked into the language:

>>> from sklearn.linear_model import LogisticRegression
>>> LogisticRegression(qwerty=5)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'qwerty'

The Elixir behavior has bitten me many times. Putting the onus on the developer to check whether options are all valid isn’t working in my opinion, given that these kinds of checks are incredibly rare. One solution is to add a helper function to the standard library:

defaults = [opt: false, another_opt: true, rare_opt: 5]
correct_opts = [opt: true, another_opt: false]

Options.get!(correct_opts, defaults)
# [opt: true, another_opt: false, rare_opt: 5]

misspelled_opts = [blopt: true, another_opt: false]

Options.get!(misspelled_opts, defaults)
# throws, since blopt is not in defaults

This solution is too verbose, I think, since it requires developers to name all options at least once more than they usually would. The reason why this is almost a non-issue in Python is that it would take more effort to allow misspelled keyword arguments. With that in mind, I think the use of macros might be warranted.

def my_fun(positional_arg, opts \\ []) do
  options!(opts, my_opt = false, another_opt = true, rare_opt = 5)
  IO.inspect(rare_opt) # the value passed for opts[:rare_opt]
end

my_fun("pos_arg", my_opt: true)

my_fun("pos_arg", fake_opt: true) # throws

The intended behavior is that of keyword arguments in Python, meaning that the options are accessible as another_opt rather than opts[:another_opt] after the options! macro call.

I don’t necessary like the assignment syntax hijacking, but I do think a solution of this kind is called for.

Showing Posts 6 to 1

slashdotdash

slashdotdash

The NimbleOptions library by Dashbit provides a way to validate Keyword lists by validating the options against a definition. The examples below are from the README.

This library allows you to validate options based on a definition. A definition is a keyword list specifying how the options you want to validate should look like:

definition = [
  connections: [
    type: :non_neg_integer,
    default: 5
  ],
  url: [
    type: :string,
    required: true
  ]
]

Now you can validate options through NimbleOptions.validate/2:

options = [url: "https://example.com"]

NimbleOptions.validate(options, definition)
#=> {:ok, [url: "https://example.com", connections: 5]}

If the options don’t match the definition, an error is returned:

NimbleOptions.validate([connections: 3], schema)
#=> {:error, "required option :url not found, received options: [:connections]"}
Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I stand corrected. :slightly_smiling_face:

bopjesvla

bopjesvla OP

That’s only lightweight if a function has 1 option, though, especially since keyword lists are ordered. If a function has 4 options you’d probably need tens of function clauses.

The most radical solution, of course, would be to extend def to deal with parsing options:

  def foo(normal, arguments, !some_option = 5, !other_option = 3) do
     # ...
     IO.inspect({normal, arguments, some_option})
  end

But I think the option! macro I suggested would be sufficient.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I built the library Specify for situations where we want to make explicit what options are supported somewhere (and what defaults are used for them).

As for the behaviour of functions built-in to Elixir: I agree that in many cases it would be preferable for the function to crash rather than to silently ignore an unrecognized keyword. In some cases this currently happens but seemingly not everywhere.

That said, if you were to currently write code like this:

defmodule OptionsExample do
  def foo(normal, arguments) do
    foo(normal, arguments, some_option: true)
  end

  def foo(normal, arguments, some_option: some_option) do
     # ...
     IO.inspect({normal, arguments, some_option})
  end
end

then if we were to call it with OptionsExample.foo(10, 20, unexistent: 42) then we will get a FunctionClauseError that highlights what values were passed as well as which function clauses were attempted:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in OptionsExample.foo/3    
    
    The following arguments were given to OptionsExample.foo/3:
    
        # 1
        10
    
        # 2
        20
    
        # 3
        [unexistent: 42]
    
    Attempted function clauses (showing 1 out of 1):
    
        def foo(normal, arguments, [some_option: some_option])

Writing code like this is already a very lightweight way to create the behaviour you are suggesting.

Phillipp

Phillipp

I would find that very annoying during development. Often when playing around, I put a spelling mistake in an optional keyword to temporarily disable it (for fiddling around etc.).

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

This doesn’t need to be a macro, you could implement a function that takes the desired keywords from the list and throws on any unexpected keywords :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews