brainlid
Ever wanted to store a blob of custom data on a database record? When the data is stored using Ecto there are several ways we can do it. This article explores two paths and discusses some of the pros and cons for each approach. It includes some extra tips like versioning the custom blob and creating a custom Ecto type for optionally storing it as binary. Which of the two choices is better? Well, it depends.
Trending in Blog Posts
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
What happens if you design tools for LLMs instead of letting LLM use human tools ?
Wrote a blog on why and what that enables.
As I see ...
New
:pencil: Phoenix’s built-in LiveView test helpers require you to hand-build the form payload and start a fresh pipe after every click. Wo...
New
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










