Elixir Blog Posts

Because it’s come up a few times on the Elixir slack I figured I should write down a short post on a simple pattern (or two, I guess) for how to handle health checks in a convenient way while avoiding spamming logs.

9 Likes
3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Erlang Blog Posts

Hi,

I have just written Classical Propositional Logic in Elixir and any feedback is welcome!

Regards,

Adolfo

4 Likes

Oh hey another teacher! ^.^

You might find this interestingly related. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not use Polish notation for logic?

2 Likes

In the first of a series of Oban recipes we look at a couple of techniques for enforcing unique background jobs.

Oban Recipes Part 1: Unique Jobs

5 Likes

Blog post that try to describe what I like in Common Test and features it has that I lack in the ExUnit

4 Likes

In the second of a series of Oban recipes we look at using finite recursive background jobs for backfilling data.

Oban Recipes Part 2: Recursive Jobs

3 Likes

Here’s how to spend less time managing & running all the tools that assist in developing top-notch Elixir code.

Read more about the new ex_check library: One task to rule all Elixir analysis & testing tools

2 Likes

The third recipe looks at patterns for recursively scheduled jobs without any duplication and the mechanisms that make it possible.

Oban Recipes Part 3: Reliable Scheduling

3 Likes

I wrote a post on cleaning up your elixir code using some functional design patterns:

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

The fourth recipe looks at how to keep applications feeling responsive by reporting progress from long running background jobs.

Oban Recipes Part 4: Reporting Progress

3 Likes

I am in the process of putting together a in depth 2 part blog series on setting up Prometheus and Grafana along side a PostGIS powered Phoenix application. I published Part 1 yesterday: https://akoutmos.com/post/prometheus-postgis-and-phoenix/

Stay tuned for part 2!

1 Like

Hey! I wrote a post on my first experience with Property based tests in Elixir… It was my first medium post so feedback is very appreciated, hope u like it!

2 Likes

@grufino I liked reading it, easy to follow and understand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A definite Guide On

10 Common Code Refactoring | Elixir

This article comprises of common Elixir coding techniques that you may or may not know.

A Jist of the Article

We usually encounter a situation like we expect a map has certain key and if not we need to send some default value.

Immediately, we will end up using Map.has_key? like in the following way

currency = 
  if(Map.has_key? price, "currency") do
    price["currency"]
  else
    "USD"

If you see any such lines in your code then it is time to refactor them as

currency = Map.get(price, "currency", "USD")

However, you can also take this to the next level like

currency = price["currency"] || "USD"
1 Like

Except these will not work in the same way when price = %{"currency" => nil}, and this is an important difference.

4 Likes
  Enum.map(pickup, fn 
    {"latitude", lat} -> {"lat", lat}
    {"longitude", long} -> {"long", long}
    {"pickupId", pickup_id} -> {"pickup_id", pickup_id}
    {"stopName", stop_name} -> {"stop_name", stop_name}
    {"zip", zip} -> {"zipcode", zip}
    anything -> anything 
  end)
  |> Enum.into(%{})

Every time someone does Enum.map(map, function) |> Enum.into(%{}) Map.new/2 cries. :wink:

11 Likes

Of course you are right. I just considered no-key and key with value as nil are both same. I will update like you said.
Anyway, Good Catch :tada: