cjen07

cjen07

Is there a way to call python using ports, and get the result by receive block?
Example code is preferred, thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

Well, there is ErlPort. Perhaps it does already do what you need? There is also an elixir wrapper available: export

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

Here’s a great article on ports: The Erlangelist - Outside Elixir

It uses Ruby, not Python, but the general approach should be exactly the same.

cjen07

cjen07 OP

I coded a elixir port to julia, but it doesn’t work for python, I don’t know why, will dig into the ruby version. Thanks!

cjen07

cjen07 OP

Thanks! I will find out if and how ErlPort works with respect to Python, I just don’t understand why I need use a library instead of plain elixir.

NobbZ

NobbZ

There is no need in using the library, you are free to do all the work again and on your own, that has already been done by the ErlPorts team.


Perhaps you can show us what you have, and what you expect it to do and describe what it does instead. Maybe we can help you to fix it?

cjen07

cjen07 OP

Sure, I will write a script.

micahrye

micahrye

I am not understanding something about ports, and it could be that I do not understand Python and NodeJS.

First my setup:
Mac OSX
Elixir 1.8.1
Erlang 21
Python 3.7.2, also tried 2.7.2.

In addition I have read Outside Elixir too.

I wanted to communicate with a python script via an Elixir port. For learning, I wanted to do this directly rather than using some other library, e.g. ErlPort. After some head banging I am here :slight_smile:

In Ruby, Python, and Node I have a very simple script that only prints out to stdout

Ruby

STDOUT.sync = truepyth
print(["asdf".bytesize].pack("N"))
puts("asdf")

Python

import sys

sys.stdout.write("4\n")
sys.stdout.flush()
sys.stdout.write("asdf\n")
sys.stdout.flush()

Node

process.stdout.write("4" + "\n");
process.stdout.write("asdf" + "\n");

From Elixir repl I am running

iex> Port.open({:spawn, cmd}, [:binary, {:packet, 4}, :use_stdio, :exit_status])

Where “cmd” is something like:

python <path_to_script>

and the like for Ruby and Node.

Now when I do that for the Ruby script and the run flush() I get the following:

iex> Port.open({:spawn, ruby_cmd}, [:binary, {:packet, 4}, :use_stdio, :exit_status])
#Port<0.11>
iex> flush()
{#Port<0.11>, {:data, "asdf"}}
{#Port<0.11>, {:exit_status, 0}}
:ok

Where “asdf” is the expected data.

For Python and Node I get:

iex> Port.open({:spawn, python_cmd}, [:binary, {:packet, 4}, :use_stdio, :exit_status])
#Port<0.12>
iex> flush()
{#Port<0.12>, {:exit_status, 0}}
:ok

As you can see there is no {:data, “asdf”} msg as I would expect when writing to stdout from python (similar for node).

I have tried a lot of variations on writing to stdout/stderr etc. to no effect.

NobbZ

NobbZ

{:packet, 4} means, that you need 4 bytes denoting the lenght of the message and no newline after that (unless its part of the message).

In elixir syntax the message has to look like this:

<<4::integer-size(4)-unit(8), "asdf">>
# or
<<0, 0, 0, 4, 97, 115, 100, 102>>
micahrye

micahrye

I will update more later, but I seem to have found the issue. Above I had been creating the command as python <path_to_script> where the path was the absolute path.

When I changed the cmd to python ./src/py_port_test.py I get the response as i would expect.

I still do not understand why the absolute path matters for Python and Node, but not Ruby. I will look a bit more later.

NobbZ

NobbZ

I’m really wondering why this works, as the message format you use in in python and node is plain wrong.

To debug this, you should consider also using stderr_to_stdout and exit_status options when opening the port.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews