Elixir-desktop - Android, Window, macOS, Linux LiveView Apps with Elixir

Sphinx gets my vote too!

I think ancient Egypt is fascinating and there’s no denying their tech was out of this world :003:

(PS I haven’t forgotten about our PM conversation Dominic, just been so busy :icon_redface:)

1 Like

@dominicletz another cool project that could be used to package up the desktop app?

1 Like

Very great project, thanks.

Just for some name ideas:

• elixir-shell
  • elixir-box
  • platform
  • Metamorph
  • Polymorph
  • Cross
1 Like

Hello.

Either from your experience or your understanding, are there app scenarios that Elixir-Desktop is not suitable for?

Are there specific bottlenecks for certain platforms (Android, iOS, Windows etc)?

The point of the question is to know in what cases to choose some other library and avoid wasted development time.

1 Like

Elixir-Desktop has at the moment a pretty strong marriage to Phoenix.LiveView for everything UI. So I think if you’re after building a native UI application then that is probably an area where it is not going to fit your needs or at least requires you to do a lot of extra plumbing. The same is probably true for direct pixel access and OpenGL, there is, of course, WebGL and <canvas> but those are indirect. For direct access to OpenGL (which is still possible), you will have to do extra plumbing.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

@dominicletz am I able to talk to USB devices from inside a desktop app?

1 Like

You should be able to do anything using a NIF.

Since Elixir is traditionally a backend langiage, you might not find many native USB libraries in Elixir itself

3 Likes

Congratulations on getting to the app stores, @dominicletz!

I guess this is the first Elixir application available in mobile app stores?

12 Likes

Seconding… Congrats @dominicletz! Really awesome and love what you’re doing :heart:

3 Likes

Extremely cool @dominicletz and all the other contributors!

3 Likes

This is awesome news - congrats @dominicletz :041:

Did you make a decision on a new name?

1 Like

Thanks all! On the name I’ve not made any decisions. The poll showed that these candidates we’re not really favored by many, but instead a couple of new candidates emerged in the comments. Most prominently “elixir-native”. Anyway for now I’ve decided to focus on the technical issues and keep the name, but I’m always happy to hear other suggestions.

4 Likes

I am always in favour of explicit names over funny/intellectual names, because the name will give me already a clue about what it entails.

4 Likes

elixir-native seconded (or thirded or… :wink:)

3 Likes

How about Elixir Everywhere?

It’s aspirational and avoids comparison with React Native, which is yet to really deliver on its early promises.

7 Likes

Update: The sample projects of elixir-desktop have been upgraded to use asdf and the new official Elixir & Erlang builds. Now OTP25 includes all the necessary changes for iOS and Android builds and no custom builds are required anymore. If the custom plumbing of previous versions was holding you back from creating a mobile app before, fear no more and grab the new sources:

15 Likes

I just adapted my earlier app to use elixir-desktop and got it running on my phone! :slight_smile: Details here: GeoTherminator, remote UI for Thermia geothermal heat pumps - #7 by Nicd

10 Likes

Is it possible to access the local file system (read files) within a Elixir-desktop app?

2 Likes

Yes, just use the normal File.* functions

2 Likes