Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a small app using Elixir Desktop. This app works relatively well and launches without issues:

However, I have dialyzer complaining about types. I am not sure if this is a false positive, or if I am doing something wrong.

Problem

I have a MenuBar in my application with some basic functionality. This MenuBar is as far as I understand, a Phoenix LiveView component (because it has a mount and a render functions). So this code should look familiar for most users of Phoenix and LiveView:

defmodule WebInterface.Live.MenuBar do
  @moduledoc """
  Menubar that is shown as part of the main Window on Windows/Linux. In
  MacOS this Menubar appears at the very top of the screen.
  """

  use Desktop.Menu

  alias Desktop.{Menu, Window}

  @impl Menu
  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <menubar>
      <menu label="File">
          <hr/>
          <item onclick="quit">Quit</item>
      </menu>
    </menubar>
    """
  end

  @impl Menu
  def handle_event("quit", menu) do
    Window.quit()
    {:noreply, menu}
  end

  @impl Menu
  def mount(menu), do: {:ok, menu}

  @impl Menu
  def handle_info(:changed, menu), do: {:noreply, menu}

end

The issue here is that Dialyzer is complaining about my render function:

Type mismatch for @callback render/1 in Desktop.Menu behaviour.

Expected type:
binary()

Actual type:
%Phoenix.LiveView.Rendered{
  :dynamic => (_ -> []),
  :fingerprint => 15_721_876_439_225_774_806_119_511_245_371_375_581,
  :root => true,
  :static => [<<_::1480>>, ...]
}

It says it expects a String instead of an H sigil. Which is confusing to me, because the latest version does support this sigil.

Question

So the question arises. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

So this is something a PR with the correct type could fix right ?
Thank you for confirming my suspicion @al2o3cr !

dominicletz

dominicletz

Creator of Elixir Desktop

Thanks guys, sometimes I just can’t figure out what dialyzer is trying to tell me, will look into this and fix!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews