7Mind empowers people and organizations alike to lead healthy, happy and purpose-driven lives since 2014. With more than 2.5 million downloads to date, 7Mind has become one of Germany’s most popular online meditation training and is still growing.
Our goal is to help people pay as much attention to their mental well-being as they do to their physical health. In cooperation with seasoned meditation teachers, as well as healthcare experts, we strive to develop high quality training that provide the easiest access possible to meditation and mindfulness.
We are a Berlin-based start-up in Mitte with a creative, international, and close-knit team of over 50 employees.
My name: Sascha Wolf
My position: Technical Team Lead
Company name: 7Mind
Company website: 7Mind | Live more consciously and relaxed with the 7Mind-App
Company headquarters (country): Germany
Company info and history: 7Mind has been around for 7 years building a product which helps people integrate mindfulness in their lives. This year we’ll be building something completely new.
About the job
- Work on new and existing products
- Desire to improve the customer experience in known, and unknown, pain points
- Be part of a cross-functional team working with proven technologies
- Collaborate with mobile and web developers to understand problems and build solutions
- Deploy and maintain critical applications - including CI/CD, infrastructure-as-code, and observability tools - in a cloud-native environment
- Be involved in making architectural decisions and push us to disrupt our status quo
- Keep in touch with evolving industry trends to help us improve our systems
Salary range (Euro, yearly):
52k - 68k (Mid-level) / 68k - 80k (Senior)
We’re currently transitioning to a transparent, bracket-based salary system, where everyone can see the brackets of their peirs. The salary ranges above reflect the range of these brackets.
Position on remote work:
Possible, large parts of the product team work remotely
Qualifications or experience required:
- A desire to understand problems before solving them
- Willing to take and share ownership of parts of the product
- Strong communication and documentation skills in English (German is a plus)
- 3+ years experience in general backend development
- An interest in functional programming languages (esp. Elixir)
- Passion for clean, maintainable and testable code
- Solid understanding of the full web technology stack (e.g. HTTP, cookies, asset loading, caching, REST, Websocket)
- A working knowledge of building and managing CI/CD pipelines
- Prior knowledge of Domain-Driven Design
- Experience with Elixir (whether in a production environment or from pet projects)
- Familiarity with Kubernetes administration and configuration
- Understanding of system administration in Linux environments
- An interest in mobile and web technologies
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
7Mind’s first backend was built with Ruby on Rails by an agency. Later additions were written with Elixir in self-contained services. This system grew in complexity over time and the team came to the conclusion that the small team of backend engineers couldn’t reap the benefits of multiple, independent services, and as such the operational overhead wasn’t worth it.
Since late 2022 we’ve been slowly moving towards a single, monolithic codebase, still applying separation of concerns principles by applying DDD techniques to identify and separate distinct parts of the codebase. This modulith we’re building is meant to replace large swaths of the existing services, while reducing complexity in areas where 7Mind doesn’t have a core-business interest.
In addition we’re on the cusp of build a completely new product, which is a very exciting opportunity to reflect on our learnings of the past.
About the interview process
Usually we begin with a first call which acts as a first technical screening and getting to know each other. This will be done by backend colleagues who you’re also going to work with.
Based on this we decide how to proceed. The last round in our application process is always a “meet-the-team” round, where you get the opportunity to meet multiple members of the Product Team.
How to apply