shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello friends, I do not think this problem of mine exists in production build ( I did not test it), but in developer mode iex -S mix.

imagine you have this module

defmodule PluginWorker do
  use Worker, concurrency: 1
  
  def perform(event: event, type: :start) do
    ....
  end
end

If I run my iex, and call it inside the function_exported? it returns true.

but when I use it like this:

  @impl true
  # The task completed successfully
  def handle_info({ref, _answer}, %{ref: ref} = state) do
 
    Process.demonitor(ref, [:flush])
    
    # HERE
    function_exported?(PluginWorker, :worker?, 0)
    |> IO.inspect(label: "=-==-=-=>") # false

    Queue.new(%{
      worker: PluginWorker,
      error: %{type: :continuously, max_try: 5, delay: 1000}
    })

    {:noreply, %{state | ref: nil}, {:continue, :start_service_restoring}}
  end

As you see it returns false my question is, how can have this builded in iex developer env and test, and the other problem is, it is a problem in production build? like release

Test mode

In test mode I am forced to call some modules in test_helper.exs file before testing, because without it inside my tests they are no be compiled before

for example:

ExUnit.start()

# Help to compile workers
MishkaInstallerTest.Support.MisWorkerOne.worker?()
WorkerTwo.worker?()
WorkerThree.worker?()
PluginWorker.worker?()

Thank you in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 5

03juan

03juan

In dev and test modes the system is running in interactive mode, so the module may not be available before you try to use it. You can use ensure_loaded!/1 before function_exported?/3 to force the BEAM to load it. You wouldn’t have this problem in production because all modules are loaded at start-up in embedded mode.

Code loading on the Erlang VM

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Thank you, so I need to limit it just to use in dev and test (Mix.env()), because the Code.ensure_loaded speed is very low Should I use `Code.ensure_loaded?/1`? - #5 by shahryarjb, when you are using it more than 1 time

03juan

03juan

I think you can use it in the module declaration just above the handle callback, then it’s only run once during compilation

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Yes after your help, I put it like this

defmodule MishkaInstaller.PluginsManagement.Event do
  use GuardedStruct
  use GenServer
  ...
  import MnesiaAssistant, only: [er: 1, erl_fields: 4]

  if Mix.env() in [:dev, :test] do
    Code.ensure_loaded(PluginWorker)
  end

 def ... do
    ....
 end
03juan

03juan

Great!

Just 2 things to keep in mind.

You don’t need to test for the environment.

If the module is already loaded, this works as no-op. If the module was not yet loaded, it tries to load it.

Maybe use the ! version so the compiler fails in case the module isn’t found, otherwise you’ll only find out at runtime like you saw in your failing tests.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews