code

code

Here is my code:

defmodule HW3A do
    def onepad(int, n \\ 0, list \\ []) do
        case n do
        ^int -> list
        _ -> onepad(int, n + 1, list ++ [:rand.uniform(int)])
        end
    end

    defp string_to_num(string_grahemes, alphabets, cipher_nums, num_list \\ []) do
        string_to_num(tl(string_grahemes), alphabets, tl(cipher_nums), [(Keyword.get(alphabets, hd(string_grahemes) |> String.to_atom)) + hd(cipher_nums) | num_list])
    end

    defp string_to_num([], alphabets, cipher_nums, num_list) do
        num_list
    end


    def cipher(string) do
        numbers = onepad(String.length(string))
        alphabets = Enum.zip([:a,:b,:c,:d,:e,:f,:g,:h,:i,:j,:k,:l,:m,:n,:o,:p,:q,:r,:s,:t,:u,:v,:w,:x,:y,:z], [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26])
        string_num = []

        encrypted_numbers = string_num(String.graphemes(string), alphabets, numbers, num_list)

        IO.inspect(encrypted_numbers)
    end
end

When I call the function I get the following error:

warning: function string_to_num/4 is unused
  practice.exs:113


** (CompileError) practice.exs:127: undefined function num_list/0
    (elixir 1.12.2) src/elixir_locals.erl:114: anonymous fn/3 in :elixir_locals.ensure_no_undefined_local/3
    practice.exs:105: (file)

What am I doing wrong here ? I just want to return the argument.

Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Can you post the rest of your module? I’m pretty sure that the problem originates elsewhere, as the following compiles (with a bunch of warnings):

defmodule Example do
  defp string_to_num(string_grahemes, alphabets, cipher_nums, num_list \\ []) do
        string_to_num(tl(string_grahemes), alphabets, tl(cipher_nums), [(Keyword.get(alphabets, hd(string_grahemes) |> String.to_atom)) + hd(cipher_nums) | num_list])
  end

  defp string_to_num([], alphabets, cipher_nums, num_list) do
        num_list
  end
end
code

code OP

I edited the post and the whole module is in the post now.

zwippie

zwippie

Not an exact answer, but you should probably swap the functions (put the last one before the first) because now string_to_num with an empty list as the first argument will be processed by the first function, where I think you would like it to use the second function.

Jacek

Jacek

Here you call string_num and use num_list as a parameter. Since such a variable does not exist in the scope of the cipher function, the compiler looks for a function but of course it does not exist as well.

derek

derek

As @zwippie suggests, you need to put the string_to_num/4 with the [] first param first, since if the first param is [], the first clause will match, with [] being assigned to string_grahemes. You should then be getting a compiler warning to that effect.

You should also be getting a compiler warning:

warning: defp string_to_num/4 has multiple clauses and also declares default values. In such cases, the default values should be defined in a header. Instead of:

    def foo(:first_clause, b \\ :default) do ... end
    def foo(:second_clause, b) do ... end

one should write:

    def foo(a, b \\ :default)
    def foo(:first_clause, b) do ... end
    def foo(:second_clause, b) do ... end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews