victorolinasc

victorolinasc

Hey there people :slight_smile:

Just wanted to share a very quick and easy setup for editing Elixir in KDE’s Kate editor. This is a very nice and simple editor. It starts real fast and is quite easy on memory and cpu.

Here is a screenshot of it working with elixir-ls and syntax highlighting:

To configure it is very easy:

  • Open up settings → Configure Kate
  • Plugins → enable LSP Client plugin apply and restart Kate
  • Open up settings once again → Configure Kate → LSP Client
  • Under the tab of User Server Settings add this snippet (you need to have cloned elixir-ls and ran its build first):
{
    "servers": {
        "elixir-ls": {
            "command": ["FULL PATH TO YOUR language_server.sh FILE"],
            "rootIndicationFileNames": ["mix.exs"],            
            "url": "https://github.com/elixir-lsp/elixir-ls",
            "highlightingModeRegex": "^(Elixir)$"
        }
    }
}
  • Restart kate
  • Open any Elixir project (should start the LSP automatically)
  • Make sure you configure your project going to: Tools → Mode → Sources → Elixir

That’s it :slight_smile:

What I’ve tested:

  • Auto-complete
  • Code formatting (although couldn’t find a way to trigger format on save)
  • Go to definition

I don’t use it on a daily basis, but it is an awesome fully open source alternative to add in the mix. Auto-completion, code formatting and all working fine with just these settings. I am an Emacs user but its nice to have an alternative that is native to my DE.

For those interested, here are some links:

Anyway, just wanted to share this little snippet. I’ve seen some other KDE fans around here so that might make em happy too.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

guibbv20111

guibbv20111

Lexical works fine too…

Eiji

Eiji

In general I like how much apps KDE/Plasma have, but …

  1. They have 2 editors (kate and kwrite)
  2. Modern code editor is pretty specific topic, a good editor like kate cannot be compared to editors like zed which are very specialised in terms of performance (including UI rendering on GPU)

As above both editors are good, but most likely for new developers that want to have a same UI style for all apps. A senior developers would rather choose an IDE or an editor on which maintainers are fully focused. Therefore currently Sublime Text 4 looks best (in terms of performance), but VS Code have also it’s place. A song of future (near future) is zed. I believe that the potential of it is not yet fully used, but even now it’s a powerful tool much better than a “typical” DE editor with plugin support.

It does not really matter. The point is how fast it’s at runtime. Before zed I was testing lots of editors and IDEs checking how long they need to load a project with a huge JSON database (at that time I was using HDD). The only one who really passed it was Sublime Text 3 (at that time there was no version 4). In some other cases editors often had a problem with freezing UI (that’s why I was so interested in zed before even they have started to support Linux).

If not now then I believe that zed would not have a worth opponents in at least few years as most editors are using an existing GTK+ / Qt API, so rewriting them is not so easy.

ArthurClemens

ArthurClemens

I had quite some problems getting this to run on a Mac with asdf. The elixir-ls launch script could not find asdf when ran inside Kate, because ASDF_DIR was pointing to my home directory, while asdf was installed with Homebrew.
In the end I re-installed asdf using “the preferred method” (using Git) and things are working fine now.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews