JaniHur
Hello Community,
I’m Elixir, but not a functional programming, beginner (read Elixir in Action already once but still here :).
Is Elixir and BEAM/OTP platform suitable for applications providing and consuming APIs over network?
My use case would be an application implementing a OpenAPI specification based (request-reply) APIs. The application logic would be mainly to query data from other network APIs and (relational) databases and transform the (JSON) data in arbitrary ways. Also Kafka connectivity is required.
Any hints for a beginner for suitable libraries/frameworks/existing tutorials covering this scenario? I’m a bit confused about the ecosystem atm and I’m assuming vanilla Elixir is not enough, right?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
derpycoder
Sure,
It certainly is, See: YouTube videos depicting its usage!!
Vanilla Elixir is great, if you want to go that route, but it will take a while.
However since you are beginner, I would suggest you use something like Phoenix Framework, along with some libraries mentioned below:
Phoenix Framework can generate API endpoints, using generators. See: mix phx.gen.json & Views and Templates
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix
You can use a beginner friendly, yet powerful HTTP client:
https://github.com/wojtekmach/req
For Kafka connection, you can use:
https://github.com/dashbitco/broadway
To generate OpenAPI docs:
https://github.com/xerions/phoenix_swagger
Tutorials:
Generate API Documentation Effortlessly from your Phoenix/Elixir code
JaniHur
Thanks a lot!
So Phoenix is also the way to go to build “api-only backends”. I somehow missed that as I see Phoenix main page actively promotes “interactive web applications”-only. Now when I know what to look for I see e.g. https://itnext.io/building-apis-with-phoenix-framework-a7e280b7fa4a
Broadway looks very useful for what I’m planning to do.
Thanks again!