artvinn
Hi guys! I’ve been thinking about making a multiplayer(I think 50-150 concurrent players per server) web game as a side project, similar to currently popular .io games. Initially I wanted to do it with Node.js due to my experience with it and ecosystem maturity, but now thinking to implement it in Elixir, as I’ve been learning it for some time and haven’t used for any serious project. The server will need to handle calculations like players bounding, velocity, acceleration and simple gravity. I’ve read that elixir is not very good for high CPU computations and I couldn’t find any physics libraries. Would it be too much to calculate all this in elixir? Or it would be a better idea to do it through NIFs or it is very slow?
Thanks in advance ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
I think elixir/erlang would be able to calculate that. But something more involved would require using a NIF probably.
I would model each player as a process (maybe a gen_statem) that would keep all information about itself (its position, current velocity and acceleration, life-cycle status). Gravity could probably be expressed as some callback functions acting on these processes’ states called after each process action.
I think it’ll mostly be simple arithmetics, so erlang should do fine.
btw, I think the miniclips’ ios app for agar.io used erlang on the backend, but c++ for the original browser version. Don’t remember how I learned this, but after a little bit of googling I found these “proofs”:
easco
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I recommend that you try it in Elixir, run some timing tests, then optimize with a NIF if you find performance lags.
Qqwy
Indeed, @easco has the right idea.
when you find out that you need NIFs, Rustler nowadays works really well and makes it very clear what is going on.
mlgarchery
Sorry guys, but what is a NIF ? thx
sneako
NIF is a Native Implemented Function, a way to run native code from elixir/erlang see NIFs — Erlang System Documentation v29.0.2