dogweather

dogweather

I’ve been scratching out an idea in Prolog. But I’m wondering how Elixir’s functional paradigm would handle this kind of knowledge base. Has anyone done similar work?

At first glance, these look like multi-headed functions:

/*
 * Crimes within the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.
 * 
 * https://world.public.law/rome_statute/article_5_crimes_within_the_jurisdiction_of_the_court
 */
crime(genocide).
crime(war_crime).
crime(crime_against_humanity).
crime(crime_of_aggression).


/*
 * A first, simple attempt at Protected Persons under
 * the Geneva Conventions of 1949.
 */
protected_by_geneva_convention(P) :- civilian(P).
protected_by_geneva_convention(P) :- prisoner_of_war(P).
protected_by_geneva_convention(P) :- medical_personnel(P).
protected_by_geneva_convention(P) :- religious_personnel(P).


/*
 * D = Defendant
 * V = Victim
 */

/*
 * Genocide
 * https://world.public.law/rome_statute/article_6_genocide
 */
criminal_liability(genocide, Statute, D, V) :-
	elements(Statute, D, V).

/*
 * War crimes
 * https://world.public.law/rome_statute/article_8_war_crimes
 */
criminal_liability(war_crime, Statute, D, V) :-
	protected_by_geneva_convention(V),
	international_conflict(D, V),
	elements(Statute, D, V).


elements(article_8_2_a_i, D, V) :-
	act(D, killed, V).

elements(article_8_2_a_ii, D, V) :-
	act(D, tortured, V).     

Showing Posts 2 to 1

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Also check out this thread:

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

That similarity isn’t an accident:

  • Elixir’s multi-headed functions with pattern-matching are a direct translation of the Erlang features
  • Erlang specifically cites Prolog’s syntax as inspiration, though with imperative semantics
  • Erlang’s earliest prehistory is as a Prolog program (way back in 1986) - see the history in the introduction to Joe Armstrong’s thesis
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews