Elixir In Action (Manning)

Nice one @sasajuric - I look forward to reading it again :003: for anyone on the fence, get it! I really enjoyed the original and I think you will too :023:

1 Like

Purchased, looking forward to it! I’ll start reading it on my trip to Lonestar Elixir because Airports :wink:

2 Likes

Purchased it today and already got deap in the second chapter. Nice one. I like the author’s writing style.

2 Likes

If you have the 1st edition, I think you can get a better discount for ebook, but you need to check with Manning about that.

If you got the 1st edition eBook through Manning you probably got an email around Feb.16:

An exclusive offer just for owners of Elixir in Action
Upgrade to Elixir in Action, Second Edition for just $9.99!

Discount applies to the eBook of Elixir in Action, Second Edition. You’ll receive your eBook upgrade in PDF, ePub, Kindle, and liveBook formats.
Your unique discount code expires March 2. Only at manning.com

The email contains the discount code.

5 Likes

I bought this excellent book too and strongly suggest it to others!

2 Likes

Love your clear and explicit explanation of

1. how mailbox of processes behaves
  2. Module as a kind of data abstraction
  3. going through a similar behaviour implementation to that of GenServer so that i have a better idea of what is going on when using GenServer

looking forward to the next half of the book

4 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! Hope you’ll enjoy the rest of the book too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When will the 2nd edition complete?

1 Like

I’ve already made the first pass through all the chapters and handed them off to Manning. The MEAP version should be updated soonish to contain everything, but at the moment I don’t have the exact date. Past that point, we have to wait for the feedback from reviewers, make changes as necessary, and then it’s off to production. The estimated date on the book page says summer 2018. I’m personally hoping that the print version would be released in June or early July, but don’t hold me to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

v2 of Meap is now available, with full content :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The updated MEAP has just been released, and the book is now sent to production. Based on the final review feedback, we’ve decided to add a brief treatment of tasks and agents (about 15 pages). The corresponding sections are available in chapter 10 (now renamed to “Beyond GenServer”). Other than that, there are no major changes, only a couple of minor fixes.

Wish you all a happy reading :slight_smile:

12 Likes

EIA is a real treasure of knowledge. Looking forward for your next book.

3 Likes

Ditto!

Any plans for another book @sasajuric? :003:

2 Likes

No plans atm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like there is a 2nd edition coming up: https://www.amazon.com/Elixir-Action-scaron-Juri-cacute/dp/1617295027/ref=dp_ob_image_bk
I just started reading some of this book and I love the details on processes etc. so far.

1 Like

It is already available as MEAP here.

The book is content complete.

2 Likes

It might be content complete but it looks like some of the book is written in some foreign language

j/k

1 Like

Well… it’s the Manning way to encrypt the real content as It’s just a preview. But I can ensure You the real deal is readable :slight_smile:

The obfuscated liveview version is identified in the URL as v3 (elixir-in-action-second-edition/welcome/v-3/) - that version has been available “in the clear” via MEAP since May 10, 2018.

And having purchased the MEAP from Manning the liveview version isn’t obfuscated as long as that account is logged in.

Yes I know :slight_smile:

You both missed the “j/k” at the bottom of my post!

1 Like