bartblast

bartblast

Creator of Hologram

Hey there! :slight_smile:

We need help completing Elixir’s browser runtime by porting some Erlang functions to JavaScript.

Hologram automatically transpiles Elixir, but the underlying Erlang functions - the building blocks of Elixir’s stdlib - must be ported manually.

No Erlang knowledge required - just basic JS/Elixir skills and pattern-following. Tasks: 15 min to a few hours. AI tools encouraged!

Each function you port unlocks multiple Elixir stdlib functions in the browser!

:backhand_index_pointing_right: Read the full blog post: https://hologram.page/blog/elixir-to-javascript-porting-initiative

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Sorc96

Sorc96

I have an idea for a (probably non-trivial) improvement to the test suite. While porting :erlang.make_tuple/2, I made a mistake and wrote a test checking that making a tuple with size 0 raises an error. This is not true, an empty tuple is returned instead, but the test passed, since my implementation raised an error.

Would it be possible to compare the result of the JS implementation with the result of the actual Erlang function? I assume this would require implementing at least one of term_to_binary and binary_to_term. Does this seem too difficult to be worth the effort?

bartblast

bartblast OP

Creator of Hologram

Thanks for the feedback! Have you seen the “Server-Side Consistency Tests” section in the Contributing Guide? The idea is that you implement matching tests in Elixir (in test/elixir/hologram/ex_js_consistency/erlang/) that mirror your JavaScript tests. These verify your JS implementation behaves identically to the actual OTP implementation. And if OTP behavior changes in the future, it’ll be caught.

Does this resolve the issue for your :erlang.make_tuple/2 case, or should we make this clearer in the docs?

Also, could you elaborate on your term_to_binary idea? I’m curious what you have in mind.

Sorc96

Sorc96

Ah, I misunderstood the point of the Elixir tests. I thought they were run using the JS implementation as well. The actual problem seems to be elsewhere, probably in `assert_error` reporting success even when there is no error. I’m investigating further.

As for the idea regarding comparing the two implementations, I think there would need to be a common serialization format, term_to_binary being the obvious choice. Then, a piece of code could be run both on the BEAM and in JS and the outputs could be compared. This should remove the need for duplicating tests.

EDIT: Yes, as far as I can tell, assert_error does not actually check that an error was raised. That explains my confusion when the empty tuple test passed even though there was no error.

bartblast

bartblast OP

Creator of Hologram

Erlang consistency tests will eventually be automatically transpiled and run on the client. To enable that, we need to port some Erlang functions first (including some from phase 2). For now, matching tests are the simplest and most maintainable way to verify consistency IMO. The same applies to Elixir stdlib tests - they will be transpiled as well eventually to automatically verify consistency.

bartblast

bartblast OP

Creator of Hologram

Could you share code snippets that reproduce the problem? I looked at your PR (https://github.com/bartblast/hologram/pull/363/files) and all CI checks pass, including tests using assert_error. If you have a specific case where it passes when it shouldn’t, please share the test code and what you expected vs. what happened.

Sorc96

Sorc96

I fixed the tests in the second commit, but the first commit contains the test that should not be passing.

test "raises ArgumentError when arity is not positive" do
  assert_error ArgumentError,
               build_argument_error_msg(1, "out of range"),
               {:erlang, :make_tuple, [0, :a]}
end

There is no error when applying the function, it simply returns the empty tuple. Therefore, I would expect the test to fail, since it should assert that an error was raised.

Looking at the definition of assert_error, I don’t immediately see anything asserting that there was actually an error.

bartblast

bartblast OP

Creator of Hologram
tenkiller

tenkiller

@bartblast I’m curious on your thoughts of what the return value of re.version should be, considering there is not a single version tied to JavaScript Regex capabilities?

❯ iex
Erlang/OTP 27 [erts-15.2.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:16:16] [ds:16:16:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]

Interactive Elixir (1.18.2) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> h :re.version/0

  @spec version() :: binary()

since: OTP 20.0

The return of this function is a string with the PCRE version of the system
that was used in the Erlang/OTP compilation.

                                                                                                        
❯ pcre-config --version
8.45

I simply return an empty bitstring for now, bit this test will always fail.

describe "version/0" do
  test "empty string" do
    assert :re.version() == ""
  end
end
bartblast

bartblast OP

Creator of Hologram

Since JavaScript regexes aren’t compatible with the PCRE standard (which Elixir uses), Hologram will eventually transpile them to maintain compatibility.

For now, please hardcode the JavaScript implementation to return "8.44 2020-02-12". In both your JavaScript tests and Elixir consistency tests, use this regex pattern to verify the result format: ~r/^\d+\.\d+\s+\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}$/ (this should work in both Elixir and JS)

This way both test suites validate the version string format rather than an exact value, which keeps things consistent.

Eventually, :re.version/0 will fetch the PCRE version from the Hologram client-runtime, which will receive it from the server in the initial request. Initially we’ll be targeting a specific PCRE version to ensure consistency across the client-side regex behavior.

Thanks for flagging this!

tenkiller

tenkiller

Do we need an implementation of the Type.set() data type, in order to write functions to operate on them, e.g. :sets.to_list/1?

Where Next? Top

Trending in News & Updates Top

Jskalc
LiveVue v1.0 released After four release candidates and a lot of community feedback, LiveVue 1.0 is stable :tada: I’ve built a dedicated...
New
zachdaniel
Your standard application generally only tracks what is true right now. Updates overwrite previous data, and asking questions about the p...
New
woylie
<span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"></span>let-me 3.0.4 has been released. Changed Log the policy module and the check module in the...
New
bartblast
Hologram v0.12 is out! This one is for the big apps. Evo Store, Hologram’s Performance Sponsor, has an app with over 9,000 Elixir modules...
New
woylie
Flop Phoenix 0.27.0 has been released. Changed Require Flop 0.29.0, which turns Flop.Schema from a protocol into a behaviour. Determin...
New
webofbits
Aludel 0.8.0 is now available on GitHub and Hex. This release adds typed_judge assertions for evaluations that need deterministic, struc...
New
kyroco
VitalAIze 0.3.0 is out. It puts your other machines on your team on the board, live. I changed the architecture and am using gRPC to stre...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews