sodapopcan

sodapopcan

When looking at the job postings on this forum, does anyone else jump straight to the company’s website then immediately “view source” and search for phx- in the source?

Since my manager is quite active on this forum, I just gotta say that this is just a fun question and having phx- show up in the source of my current employer’s website was totally the catalyst of me finding employment at my current, awesome job :heart:

PS I really want to stress that this is just a fun question. I’m well aware that that the tech behind a company’s marketing site is mutually exclusive of the tech behind their products and internal tools.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

thelastinuit

thelastinuit

I did! run away and hide

kif

kif

I just started Elixir learning a few weeks ago. I could not find a good list of product build with Elixir Phoenix so I started looking at the source of random sites I visit as well.

cjbottaro

cjbottaro

Hey!! Our Elixir codebase is 600,880 lines… and not a single one of them renders any HTML… :joy:

sodapopcan

sodapopcan OP

Ha nothing wrong with that. I’m primarily a web developer, so I love the level of dedication when LiveView is used for marketing sites.

kanishka

kanishka

When I look at company website, I want to feel impressed visually and get some sense of confidence that they hired a professional design firm and have staff working on marketing and sales (and it’s not just developers who will come up with a business plan later). In that context, the design firm probably used some cheap developers to translate the designs into html and css, possibly without any programs generating that html.

Some people might want to create common components and styles that are shared between the marketing site and a SPA, if it’s a SaaS company. Then, they might go further and use their front end stack for both their SPA and marketing site. This could be a potential distraction for early startups, delaying work on product development…So, I actually would hesitate a little if I saw this, unless the company was a little older and had the capacity to pursue this after establishing revenue streams.

Assuming the company is at a level of maturity where they can divert some dev effort into their marketing site, rather than outsourcing it, I would want to see:

  • marketing site - html, CSS with generation using 11ty, or maybe even designing and implementing the site in webflow
  • SPA - elm or react with js and unit tests
  • Backend - elixir

Everybody probably has their own unique mixture of tools that they like. Those are just the mix that I happen to like.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan OP

My question was definitely just meant to be fun and a bit tongue-in-cheek (using the word catalyst was super hyperbolic). Regardless, these are super good points you raise and I should probably take that more into consideration. I’ve mostly worked for places with either very small marketing sites or where the product and site are one-in-the-same. In the case of the latter, it eventually became a question of “Why aren’t we just using Shopify?” since there was a large need to focus on internal tools and that’s eventually what we did.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews