rainwater11

rainwater11

In what ways may the Elixir logo be used? What license is it under? Creative Commons?

I appreciate any help from the community, thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

peerreynders

peerreynders

See:

Croz1007

Croz1007

Has the trademark process been completed? It has been a long while since this post and wanted to see if there has been any update at all on the usage of the Elixir drop logo.

Thanks

sd4code

sd4code

Yes, I’m interested into displaying the platform’s logo on my hosting site when my programmers are finish with the hosting deployment program for Elixir.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Unfortunately no. :confused: We started the process in Brazil first and in other countries based on the Brazilian application, but the Brazilian application is pending while it was accepted elsewhere - but they can’t be completed until the Brazilian one finishes, so now we are considering decoupling the processes, which will still take time but may be faster.

If it doesn’t sound fun, then you are right, because it isn’t. :confused:

Rainer

Rainer

I hope the process will be finished soon, so annoying to get stuck in bureaucracy…

As we shouldn’t use the logo yet, I wonder what would be a good way refer to elixir, eg. in an about section on a webpage for used technologies? Just a plain text link to elixir-lang.org?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yes, a “Built with Elixir” text with a link is enough. Once the trademark process is done, we will put up a page with the rules for general use of the logo.

leductam

leductam

I’m preparing for some presentation about Elixir and would like to add Elixir logo to the them. I searched this topic, and saw that the last updated time at Nov 2019.
And go to elixir-lang repo on Github, there is a commit updated at Aug 10, 2021, which mentioned that:

“Elixir” and the Elixir logo are registered trademarks of The Elixir Team

Then might I use the Elixir logo from now on?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Click the link and it will take you to our trademark policy page: Trademarks policy - The Elixir programming language :slight_smile:

JsonKody

JsonKody

So, using just the Elixir drop in my graphic is not allowed? It’s really the only way to visually communicate “this is the Elixir language,” and I find it pretty silly that it’s not legally allowed.

If I browse articles across the internet about the Elixir programming language, I find that these rules are being broken everywhere. :confused:

Uses just drop - against policy

https://www.codingninjas.com/studio/library/elixir-programming-introduction

I could probably find hundreds of articles, but I’ll stop here. That rule is just stupid, like “Rust Foundation level” stupid.
They’re simply missing a variant of the logo that’s “just the drop,” so everyone has to either change the logo and go against policy, or just not use graphics (or create bad graphics, which is worse than not using graphics at all).

PS: I apologize for my earlier strong language, but I’m quite frustrated with unnecessary and inefficient bureaucracy that seems to hamper the Elixir community. It appears that many articles, free courses, and YouTube thumbnails that aim to promote Elixir and Phoenix are at odds with existing trademark rules. I don’t believe this is due to any malicious intent to violate Elixir’s trademark policy; rather, it’s that the policy doesn’t accommodate what seems to be the most straightforward use of the Elixir drop symbol.

cmo

cmo

Or add on your own purple drip.

Probably not worth calling people stupid over.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews