Elixir Logo Usage

In what ways may the Elixir logo be used? What license is it under? Creative Commons?

I appreciate any help from the community, thanks!

See:

Has the trademark process been completed? It has been a long while since this post and wanted to see if there has been any update at all on the usage of the Elixir drop logo.

Thanks

2 Likes

Yes, I’m interested into displaying the platform’s logo on my hosting site when my programmers are finish with the hosting deployment program for Elixir.

Unfortunately no. :confused: We started the process in Brazil first and in other countries based on the Brazilian application, but the Brazilian application is pending while it was accepted elsewhere - but they can’t be completed until the Brazilian one finishes, so now we are considering decoupling the processes, which will still take time but may be faster.

If it doesn’t sound fun, then you are right, because it isn’t. :confused:

8 Likes

I hope the process will be finished soon, so annoying to get stuck in bureaucracy

As we shouldn’t use the logo yet, I wonder what would be a good way refer to elixir, eg. in an about section on a webpage for used technologies? Just a plain text link to elixir-lang.org?

Yes, a “Built with Elixir” text with a link is enough. Once the trademark process is done, we will put up a page with the rules for general use of the logo.

6 Likes

I’m preparing for some presentation about Elixir and would like to add Elixir logo to the them. I searched this topic, and saw that the last updated time at Nov 2019.
And go to elixir-lang repo on Github, there is a commit updated at Aug 10, 2021, which mentioned that:

“Elixir” and the Elixir logo are registered trademarks of The Elixir Team

Then might I use the Elixir logo from now on?

3 Likes

Click the link and it will take you to our trademark policy page: Trademarks policy - The Elixir programming language :slight_smile:

9 Likes

So, using just the Elixir drop in my graphic is not allowed? It’s really the only way to visually communicate “this is the Elixir language,” and I find it pretty silly that it’s not legally allowed.

If I browse articles across the internet about the Elixir programming language, I find that these rules are being broken everywhere. :confused:

Uses just drop - against policy

https://www.codingninjas.com/studio/library/elixir-programming-introduction

I could probably find hundreds of articles, but I’ll stop here. That rule is just stupid, like “Rust Foundation level” stupid.
They’re simply missing a variant of the logo that’s “just the drop,” so everyone has to either change the logo and go against policy, or just not use graphics (or create bad graphics, which is worse than not using graphics at all).

PS: I apologize for my earlier strong language, but I’m quite frustrated with unnecessary and inefficient bureaucracy that seems to hamper the Elixir community. It appears that many articles, free courses, and YouTube thumbnails that aim to promote Elixir and Phoenix are at odds with existing trademark rules. I don’t believe this is due to any malicious intent to violate Elixir’s trademark policy; rather, it’s that the policy doesn’t accommodate what seems to be the most straightforward use of the Elixir drop symbol.

Or add on your own purple drip.

Probably not worth calling people stupid over.

1 Like

Yep, I hesitated to use that word, but I don’t call them “people.” I’m referring to the policy
 :wink:
A logo is a “visual language,” and graphic designers are the people who work in that domain. You’ll find that almost no professional designer can use the logo without breaking some rule in that policy, so legally, the logo is unusable as it is.

The only workaround I see is to create a similar but different ‘community’ logo that could be recognized as the Elixir logo.

P.S.: The policy itself would be fine if there were an official logo that’s just the “drop,” but there isn’t. It’s quite unfortunate.

I am not sure what you are talking about. The guideline says:

Anyone can use the Elixir trademarks if that use of the trademark is nominative.

Showing it non-commercial content, video, blog, presentation, etc. All falls under nominative use.

The document explicitly shows as an example of permitted use:

Usage of the Elixir logo in non-commercial community meetups, in presentations, and in courses when referring to the language and its ecosystem under nominative use.

So I have to ask, have you read the guidelines?

1 Like

Oh, now I see. You could just have mentioned this. Is it really necessary to call names and going into a long rant? You could just have described the problem. I will publish only the drop version.

4 Likes

Yep, I’ve read them, but English isn’t my native language, so I was uncertain about a few sentences. I also used several translators to be sure about those parts. If I understood correctly, the key points are that the logo can’t be modified and can’t be combined with other graphics. Since the official link only provides versions with the text ‘Elixir,’ I interpret cutting out this text as modifying the logo.

Me neither, so I understand the struggle. But you can also just ask. :slight_smile:

Drop only version added to the repo.

6 Likes