Elixir Official Book(s) written and maintained by the community

I think that would be really interesting to have official books created by the community about all kinds of development we can do with Elixir.

E.g:

• Basic Elixir -> teach how to create CRUD apps with Elixir
  • Intermediate Elixir -> teach how to create real-time apps with Elixir/Phoenix
  • Advanced Elixir -> teach how to create distributed, fault-tolerant systems with Elixir and OTP

and so on…

We could do it by everyone first suggesting topics that each book should have, organizing it in a didactic way and after it, we could see who want to write about each topic, with other members reviewing the content.

It’s not something super easy to do but certainly something really feasible.

I would love to help with the Elixir community in such way, maybe if we have more volunteers we can do such thing, more or less like “The Rust Book”.

What do you think?

5 Likes

I don’t think that the community can build something, that can call itself “official”. “Official” books can only be created (or lat least in license) by the people that own the rights for elixir (plataformatec afaik).

Also as far as I can tell, everything you mention in your examples is already covered by the excellent elixir guides, available for free at elixir-lang.org. If there are question beyond, the documentation for libraries and elixir core is only an hexdocs.pm away.

Also adding this additional layer of documentation adds another burden to keep things in sync.

1 Like

By “official” I mean under the Elixir organization, like this.

Also as far as I can tell, everything you mention in your examples is already covered by the excellent elixir guides

No, it’s not. :slight_smile:

I’m talking about resources to help people to understand not only the language but the concepts involved to develop such applications, that can be used with any other language as well. Keeping those differents parts of the content not strictly tied, we can update the code when necessary without touching the “concepts” sections.

Also adding this additional layer of documentation adds another burden to keep things in sync.

For that reason I said it should be a community initiative. If everyone contribute a little, we can accomplish this without problems.

Anyway, it’s only an idea, we need at least 5~10(?!) contributors to cogitate start such endeavor.

1 Like

Well, that probably is the “in license” category I mentioned.

And still the community had to guarantee to keep the book up to date.

If you wan’t to learn more about the concepts, there are already great resources for free available. You could give LYSE a read. Or the erlang documentation.

Or buy some of the books available in the stores, not only you can learn, you do support a nice person as well! Some of them are even contributing to elixir as is.

1 Like

If the core team maintain the source code, why other people could not do the same with the book? It’s just another way to contribute.

I didn’t open this topic to ask for someone do this for me. I’m looking for opinions and maybe other volunteers to do this with me.[quote=“NobbZ, post:4, topic:6751”]
Or buy some of the books available in the stores
[/quote]

I already bought some books and a course about Elixir. I have enough resources to learn but I want to help in some way, and I believe educational resources should be free, so the unique impediment to access it should be your own will.

1 Like

I’m sorry if you took my last post as offensive. I didn’t wan’t to hurt you or anyone else.

And even if I do share your mindset about educational resources, in the sense that they should be free and available for everyone, I do not think, that learning elixir still qualifies as education.

Of course, that is possible, but as I said, those writing the book, need to make sure they stay up to date to the released version of elixir while at the same time making sure, that the published version of the book does not cover things that are only available on master.

José does always take the effort necessary to maintain a feature or enhencement into account. And very often he denied features because of the burden of future maintenance and keeping a whole book up to date is quite a burden.

But I think I will leave this discussion, I have said what I have to say. I do not think we will change each others mind. But of course, I wish you luck when you search for contributors and even more luck when you ask Jose to create that repository for you.

2 Likes

I think doing guides definitely makes sense :023:

Books are hard. There’s often a huge difference between self-published books and those published (and edited!) by good tech publishers. I would much rather direct someone to a good quality professionally published book 9 times out of 10 because I believe they will benefit much much more.

Some of these would make awesome additions as (perhaps non-official) guides. If it’s any good to you, we can make Wikis here on the forum, though I would say they might fit very nicely over at https://elixirschool.com :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this is great idea, but perhaps rather than start with books, we could create this content in the wiki.

If there’s enough content there, and it’s kept up-to-date enough, then it could be ordered as cheap paper book versions. Perhaps that last idea is redundant as I’m not sure how many would do this.

But having wiki entries that cover the app examples you give would be a huge boost for users beyond having to pick through the docs, search this forum and the internet to try to find what the language/framework author’s intentions/guidance is.

2 Likes

The place where those “books”, guides or articles will stay is not too much relevant, but for example, the Rust’s initiative to have such resources under the official organization is super interesting and something that should be copied by other languages/frameworks IMO.

It would be better to create such resources in an actual repository than in a wiki since we can have a better control of it using git. We can also use something like GitBook.

Elixir School is a great project and maybe it would be a good place to host such resources indeed.

One of the main points here is to join forces to create something really useful that one person probably would not create alone, even through a professional publisher.

3 Likes

Do you think that might be because Rust doesn’t have many published books? One I think? (which is now also subscription only). So it definitely makes sense for them to do a book.

I think guides would be much better for Elixir :slight_smile: and ElixirSchool seems like the perfect place for them :003:

1 Like

There are more books. I actually think it’s more related to the influence of the “Mozilla’s culture”, idk.

2 Likes