meraj_enigma

meraj_enigma

Hello,

I am currently investigating into writing a real time chat application in Elixir/Phoenix. I have a few queries before I jump into choosing a particular technology. Please see and answer my below queries -

  1. Is WebSocket the standard for writing real time chat applications or can I use gRPC or is there any better transport mechanism?

  2. How does Elixir/Phoenix Channel compares to other technologies or services like

    • Firestore
    • Pusher
    • Anycable
    • Action Cable
  3. If I decide to go with Elixir/Phoenix Channel, how can I run multiple instances of chat application on Kubernetes pods? Can someone points me to any document/article on this deployment part?

  4. Is there any hidden problem using WebSocket with multiple instances of chat applications that I should know about - like security/stability/scalability/performance?

Awaiting some response.

Thanks,
-Meraj

Showing Posts 1 to 8

meraj_enigma

meraj_enigma OP

Came across this article - WebSockets, caution required!

Even though a bit old would like to know where WebSockets in general but Phoenix Channels in particular stands with respect to the views expressed in above link.

Thanks!

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Websocket is one of the reason why I started Phoenix, coming from Rails…

1 If You use Phoenix, it might… but You can use other protocol
2. Firestore. Pusher. Anycable are all external services. Actioncable… Phoenix channel, hmmm, cannot be compared
3. Distribution is one aspect of the BEAM, but it’s not easy to setup
4. Websocket is just the transport

Sorry to tell, but a chat app is just the hello world application in Phoenix. If Rails promotion video is about building a blog in 15 minutes, Phoenix one could be how to build a chat in 15 minutes.

Websocket is just the transport, but Elixir has building blocks for chat application.

You should really try to build one. And You will see it’s easy because of the tools the BEAM provides.

There was a lecture about building a chat in Erlang before Phoenix even existed, unfortunately it is outdated now.

https://pragprog.com/screencast/v-kserl/erlang-in-practice

The article You posted is about Ruby…

Update: I guess You can make it in less than 15 minutes… :slight_smile:

meraj_enigma

meraj_enigma OP

Hi @kokolegorille, thanks for your reply.

Regarding point 3 - I have come across the below articles -

Looks like using Redis Pub/Sub it’s not that complicated to setup. However, using PG2 adapter can be a bit complicated.

Thanks.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

These posts have been made by @alvises :slight_smile:

meraj_enigma

meraj_enigma OP

Thanks for the great articles @alvises

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

WebSocket is a great transport mechanism and is what I’d recommend generally across the board today. Phoenix has its own protocol on top of WebSockets, but you could implement something like gRPC messages if you wanted. I have never needed to do that.

Redis PubSub works great, but I wouldn’t shy away from the out-of-the-box pg implementation. It’s really not bad to setup in Kubernetes.

There can be lots of caveats with any technology, WebSocket included. Real-Time Phoenix tries to capture those gotchas as much as possible.

meraj_enigma

meraj_enigma OP

Thanks @sb8244. I agree with you. I will try to read your book :slight_smile:

alvises

alvises

I’d suggest to go for, at the beginning, with the default PG2 adapter avoiding to maintain a redis server as well.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews