Elixir/Phoenix Job in Tokyo/Japan

Elixir developers in Japan! Unite!.. (echo, echo, echo)

About us

My name: Fabian
My position: Lead Developer
Company name: Lunaris
Company info and history:

As a good japanese company, we started out using ruby/ruby on rails. After our main e-commerce business started using Shopify, it almost looked like we were absolutely comited to Ruby.

I personally still love Ruby, and I think we will never fully stop using it, but after a few years trying to maintain Rails applications that just kept growing into untamable beasts, we were ready to try something new.

We had played around with small Phoenix applications before, but nobody was really considering Elixir as our main server-side language - until Phoenix 1.3 landed and I just loved the domain driven approach that made it so different from Rails (they might not have it “right”, but the generated structure was what convinced me).
So I lobbied for using Phoenix in our next big project and lo-and-behold! People hated it. Except me :frowning:

Long story short, people who disliked Elixir left the company to pursue their luck elsewhere, we hired new people, those who stuck with us learned Elixir and like it now and we are at a point where we need more people to help maintaining our “very old” Ruby apps, keep developing “old” Elixir apps, and develop new ones with our new main language of choice: Elixir.

About the job

Job title: Web-Developer / Backend Developer / Fullstack Develper / Beast of the East / The Yamato Cannon (it depends on what you actually end up doing)

Job description: Full-stack developer, depending on what you consider your strong side: Frontend or Backend, using Elixir/Phoenix, Ruby and/or Rails, React
Salary range: ~300k JPY/month, depending on experience

Position on remote work: In our small team we preferred working on location. As the team is growing, we can consider it as an option - but not full time remote.
Qualifications or experience required: 2 years or more coding experience

What the successful job applicant will be working on:

REST/GraphQL APIs with Phoenix/Absinthe
Shopify Embedded Apps with Phoenix and React Components
Our own standalone product with Phoenix and React

About the interview process

We do not do any whiteboard programming, we certainly value programming skill, but we also hold “soft skills” in high regard. If you are not the most experienced programmer out there, you might be good in asking questions that make other people think about their own approach to a problem, or you might be good at theoretical solutions to a problem, or … It’s not all about what you already know, but what you can contribute to the team.

Also, we would like to get to know you in a casual way. Building a good team is our number 1 priority, so we would like the interview to be as honest as possible: You will get to know us, and we are hoping to get to know you, so don’t try to hide your true personality, that can not end well.

Finally, interviews will be in english, if we get the impression your english is not sufficient to work in an international team, we might have to turn you down, please do not take that as a personal offence, but also do not hesitate to apply, even if you think your english might be lacking.

Further info

This offer is available on Jobs in Japan, in order to keep it easy for us, please use this link to apply. Thanks :smile:

6 Likes

The salary range listed is gross or net (after taxes)?

1 Like

A suggestion: if you are looking for dev in Japan, put the workplace location details with the nearest train station in your job opening. Team Lunaris’s web page says the company is located in Nishitokyo City, Tokyo; while I can guess where it is (though I don’t really know where the Higashi-Fushimi Station in Seibu Shinjuku Line), I personally think Nishitokyo is not a popular place to work for most of the English-speaking devs in Japan.

1 Like

Good question, salaries in Japan are usually given before tax, because taxes can vary a lot depending on where you live (even inside tokyo, every ward charges their own tax on top of the general tax). So this is before tax.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will bring it up on monday.

We all know that we are not located in the heart of tokyo and most of our employees chose to move closer to location after a while - and it is actually something we always talk about in interviews, some people are ok with 1 hour commutes, but we always ask if they know how long it will take and if they know what it means to spend x amount of time in the train every day.

Higashi-Fushimi station can be reached by local and semi-express trains only, but all of our employees have figured out a schedule that works for them, so everyone can be at the office 5-10 minutes before time.
The office itself is literally in a building called 駅前ビル (“building in front of the station” for non japanese speakers), so it is about 2 minutes walking distance from the station.

I live in higashi fushimi and, while it’s certainly not the most central location, it takes about 30-40 minutes to shinjuku and 20 minutes by bus to kichijoji.

1 Like

Ninigi:
Good to know you’ve explained the details around your office :slight_smile:
I understand well that having the office outside the city core is often a wise choice for a startup to reduce the office rent and other fees.
I’ve been a Setagaya homie (even though I’ve been living in Osaka for ~27 years now (but planning to move back to Setagaya soon)), and Tokyo is not only about the downtown core of Shibuya and Roppongi, and living outside the Yamanote Lite closure is indeed cheaper.

why do you call your company good?

Position has now been filled :smiley: