zingo

zingo

I’m learning Elixir and Phoenix now and really like it so far. However I started thinking of security.

What is the history of 0day-exploits for Phoenix (and Elixir) running on bandit or cowboy in production? Is it considered safe? Would it be a good/bad idea to introduce nginx as a reverse proxy? Any common pitfalls for a new developer where you can introduce weak points in your web-applications?

When searching on Google the only real thing I found was “:erlang.binary_to_term” which could be exploited. Is this something to worry about if you’re not using it explicitly in your code (but maybe the Phoenix framework uses it internally?).

I also found www.paraxial.io, which I guess is a paid service to find/prevent security issues in Elixir/Phoenix-applications. Maybe that could be a solution if you’re creating a commercial product, which I’m not doing at the moment.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

katafrakt

katafrakt

You may want to check Sobelow which is open source and I think Paraxial is using it as a base. This is only static code analysis, of course.

realcorvus

realcorvus

What is the history of 0day-exploits for Phoenix (and Elixir) running on bandit or cowboy in production?

None, the closest that we have ever seen to that was a RCE in the paginator library (not installed by default) - Remote Code Execution in paginator · CVE-2020-15150 · GitHub Advisory Database · GitHub

Is it considered safe?

Yes! Elixir is (Still) Safe

Would it be a good/bad idea to introduce nginx as a reverse proxy?

It depends on your needs. From a security perspective you can do rate limiting at the Nginx layer or the Elixir app layer, I prefer in the Elixir app because it reduces complexity.

When searching on Google the only real thing I found was “:erlang.binary_to_term” which could be exploited. Is this something to worry about if you’re not using it explicitly in your code (but maybe the Phoenix framework uses it internally?).

I’ve checked the Phoenix framework for this, they use the safe version. I’ve pentested several Elixir apps and have not found an instance of it “in the wild” yet, so not very common.

I also found www.paraxial.io, which I guess is a paid service to find/prevent security issues in Elixir/Phoenix-applications. Maybe that could be a solution if you’re creating a commercial product, which I’m not doing at the moment.

Use the free tier! You get a limited number of scans per month, if your project is non-commercial you’re good to stay on the free tier. (I am the founder of Paraxial.io)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews