ericlathrop
I’ve built a release of my app using mix release. The release is built into a docker container, and deployed, and the app runs fine.
When I docker exec -it xxxxxxx bash to get inside the container and run bin/myapp remote I get:
Erlang/OTP 25 [erts-13.2.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [ds:2:2:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]
Could not contact remote node staging@10.0.12.121, reason: :nodedown. Aborting...
epmd is running, and shows my app:
# ./erts-13.2.2/bin/epmd -names
epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
name staging at port 9001
Additionally, I’ve got some code in env.sh.eex to set the the node name to the external IP address so clusters can be formed with other machines:
token=$(curl -X PUT "http://169.254.169.254/latest/api/token" -H "X-aws-ec2-metadata-token-ttl-seconds: 21600" || true)
if [ -n "$token" ]; then
hostname=$(curl -H "X-aws-ec2-metadata-token: $token" -v http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/local-ipv4)
else
hostname="127.0.0.1"
fi
export RELEASE_DISTRIBUTION=name
export RELEASE_NODE="$ERLANG_CLUSTER@$hostname"
which results in the node name of staging@10.0.12.121.
netstat shows the apps listening on 0.0.0.0:
# netstat -ln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8083 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8082 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8081 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8080 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:9001 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4369 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 :::4369 :::* LISTEN
Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
I can connect to port 9001 with netcat:
# nc -v localhost 9001
localhost (127.0.0.1:9001) open
Why doesn’t remote work?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ericlathrop
If I remove the code setting the node name, I can run
remote:I think the problem for this container was that I didn’t map the epmd/distribution ports onto the host, so it was trying to connect to the host’s IP which was closed.
I have a complicated situation where we have an umbrella app where I generate 6 releases from it, some of those releases use Erlang distribution, and the others don’t. I was trying to setup everything to work in both situations, but Erlang distribution being designed before the cloud makes it difficult.
In the end, I found it easier to find another way to what I was doing that required Erlang distribution, and remove it.