Tyrn
Using Python interaction via ErlPort I discovered that ordinary Elixir strings are Python 3 b"" strings. It is not always convenient. You have to .decode() them in your Python code. Is there a way to convert Elixir strings before passing them as arguments to remote functions?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Elixir strings are binary data.
"a"is not different than<<65>>.So
erlportcan’t know if you want au""string or ab""string (erlportdoesn’t even know there is a difference on the python side).You have to decide on your own on the receiving script which one you need.
Tyrn
So it boils down to writing your own python wrappers for everything you are going to use from third party libraries?
NobbZ
Yes.
This is how it always works, everywhere.
When you use some sort of FFI, you will always also write wrappers that do type conversion, or mapping at least.
jeremyjh
But isn’t Erlport supposed to be the integration library here? It seems like it should automatically transform Elixir’s UTF8 encoded binaries into Python unicode strings?
NobbZ
Erlport is just mapping erlang terms to their most straight forward target representation. As an erlang library its not necessarily aware of elixir strings. And even if it were, how should it decide whether you want to receive
"a"orb"a"on the other end?Nicd
Additionally it could be expensive if the library had to go through every binary sent from Elixir to check if it’s a valid UTF-8 encoded string and then convert it to Python string (and what if some binary data looks like a valid UTF-8 string accidentally?).
jeremyjh
You are right of course, I don’t know what I was thinking with an erlang library.