mhanberg
Expert LSP Core Team
elixir-tools is a suite of developer tooling and packages for Elixir developers.
Website: https://www.elixir-tools.dev
GitHub: elixir-tools · GitHub
Projects:
- Next LS - Language Server Protocol implementation for Elixir
- Credo Language Server - Language Server Protocol implementation for Credo
- elixir-tools.nvim - Elixir plugin for Neovim
- elixir-tools.vscode - Elixir extension for Visual Studio Code
- GenLSP - GenLSP is an OTP behaviour for building language server protocol implementations
- Tableau - Static site generator
Past News:
- The elixir-tools Update Vol. 2 (2023-08-14)
- Introducing Next LS and an elixir-tools update (2023-07-05)
Today’s News:
Howdy folks! I haven’t posted about elixir-tools on the forum yet, so getting a topic started here.
Today I released The elixir-tools Update Vol. 3 , which details all the updates to the Next LS and the various tools in the elixir-tools family that haven’t happened in the last ~6 weeks.
Take care!
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mhanberg
Next LS v0.13
sbuttgereit
I’m wondering what the rationale is for Next LS or the trade-offs related to ElixirLS? It’s not apparent what’s compelling the development of another Elixir Language Server. This isn’t to say that it’s a pointless effort, just that I don’t understand why, as a possible user, I might care or what I’m missing concerning your effort?
I couldn’t readily see the rationale question answered in answered in the docs, README, etc. so just trying to understand.
fceruti
There’s an episode of the thinking elixir podcast where he goes in depth into what you are asking:
sb8244
I don’t want to start any wars here, but I will say that I’m super excited for Next LS.
Elixir LS works for me, most of the time, but the bugs and random issues are really frustrating. I have to delete the compiled Elixir LS files about 2-5 times a week. If Mitch can solve those by giving a better foundation (build more features in future more easily, support new Elixir / OTP versions more easily, etc.), then I’m really excited to fully switch to Next LS one day.
dimitarvp
Eh, I admit I’m not keen on the audio format. I would love to have that rationale written down somewhere.
And I too am not convinced we need to have more than one language server. Were there really such irreconcilable differences that mandated an entirely new project? What’s wrong with contributing to ElixirLS?
sodapopcan
I’m listening now so I can tell you when I’m done
EDIT: nvm, I see Mitch is responding.
mhanberg
Thanks for the questions (and answers!) everyone!
I get this question a couple times every time I post an update, so this week I’ll write up a piece on the story of how elixir-tools came to be.
dimitarvp
Good, thank you. I’ll read it very carefully.
dimitarvp
You should still post your impressions. Knowing you, it will turn out to be valuable feedback.
sodapopcan
Awe, that’s nice of you to say—I feel I’ve been saying some pretty boneheaded things around here in the past few weeks
I’m still listening and working at the same. Honestly, I just finally took the plunge to move from Vim to Neovim a few days ago. It’s a bit bittersweet, but ElixirLS is certainly quite nice, but it’s my first experience with language servers, period. I have not tried NextLS yet. So, as it stands, I may defer to others with more experience, but I’ll see.