ken-kost
Following this and I’m wondering the deets about it. ![]()
I made a simple recreation:
def hello(map) do
map
|> Map.to_list()
|> Enum.reduce_while(%{}, fn {key, value}, acc ->
if value == 2 do
{:halt, :error}
else
{:cont, Map.put(acc, key, value)}
end
end)
|> then(fn
%{a: a} = data when a == 3 ->
%{data | b: a}
data ->
data
end)
|> case do
:error -> "It's error"
data -> "It's okay #{data.a}"
end
end
This produces the warning:
warning: the following clause will never match:
:error
because it attempts to match on the result of:
(fn
%{a: a} = data when a == 3 -> %{data | b: a}
data -> data
end).(
Enum.reduce_while(Map.to_list(map), %{}, fn {key, value}, acc ->
if value == 2 do
{:halt, :error}
else
{:cont, Map.put(acc, key, value)}
end
end)
)
which has type:
dynamic(%{..., a: term(), b: term()})
typing violation found at:
│
33 │ :error -> "It's error"
│ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
│
└─ lib/then_case.ex:33: ThenCase.hello/1
It’s like putting the first clause in then makes the compiler think the data variable is always dynamic(%{..., a: term(), b: term()}).
Removing that clause or moving it inside case (inside then or removing then and just case) resolves the warning.
It seems the compiler does not like cases made with then. ![]()
I’m just curious, is this the expected behavior and what’s the reason behind it? ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josevalim
That’s a bug in the type system, I will take it from here. Thank you!