josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Elixir v1.5.0-rc.1 has been released.

This is the second release candidate for the upcoming Elixir v1.5. It includes bug fixes, enhancements and it integrates many new features that are part of OTP 20+.

Compared to the previous release candidate, it includes the ability to set breakpoints in IEx and further improves compilation times from 10% to 15% on average.

Here is the prerelease page with CHANGELOG: Release v1.5.0-rc.1 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

Since it is a release candidate, please report any breaking changes you may find. To run this version, you can either compile from source or use the precompiled packages in the link above. If you need help to compile from source or use the precompiled packages, check our Install page.

Special thanks to everyone who tried the first release candidate and reported regressions!

Happy coding!

EDIT: A regression on Stream.chunk/4 has been found and fixed on both master and v1.5 branches. If you run into this bug in your applications, you can consider using Stream.chunk_every/4. For libraries that use Stream.chunk/4, it is best to wait for the next release candidate and/or the final version.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’ve been watching that PR you’ve been building, it looks awesome!

Eiji

Eiji

I’m using first release candidate when working on my library ExApi - better error messages are really useful and it’s also stable . :slight_smile:
btw. I need only to write documentation and tests for this library. I’m not spending on it much time, but it already looks really good. I will publish it as soon as possible.

PatNowak

PatNowak

Does the debugging works only in IEx? If so, will it work fine when using iex -S mix phoenix.server?

aseigo

aseigo

Very excited about this release … so many good things in it!

In the release notes there is this:

[Kernel] Cache the AST on definitions. This speeds up the compilation time from 10% to 15% measured across different projects

Does anyone have a link, or a pointer to where I could look, for some numbers on this? I couldn’t find it in a quick rummaging through the PR’s…

Also .. Optimize String.replace_* functions by michalmuskala · Pull Request #6240 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub ← that one is potentially significant, perhaps interesting enough to make it into the release notes as well?

Also .. has it been considered to add links to the relevant PRs (if any?) for entires on the release notes to make it easier for people to drill down into what the changes entail?

aseigo

aseigo

Sweet, thanks! Looks like I’ll have to do some local measurements, still … thank goodness for asdf, no? :slight_smile:

josevalim

josevalim OP

Creator of Elixir

Yes. it only works on IEx and it will work fine with the command above.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in News Top

josevalim
Hi everyone, I am sharing this announcement here in case some of you might be interested. Dear colleagues, IRIF (Paris) is opening a p...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews