josevalim
Creator of Elixir
Hi everyone,
We are glad to announce that the first release candidate for Elixir v1.6.0 is out.
Check out the CHANGELOG and give the release candidate a try. Since this is a pre-release, you may not find it in package manager, so you will have to use the precompiled packages, a version manager, or compile from source.
Happy coding!
Trending in News
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Eiji
@josevalim:
Formatter,Dynamic Supervisor, helper for guards,new attributesand more - it’s a really big list of changes that will be really useful for lots of projects!I definitely need to test this RC soon.
Keep going on!
sergio
@josevalim I ran
mix teston our project with around 400 unit tests and only two failed, both with easy fixes. Great stuff.The formatter is priceless as well and resulted is much easier to read code. Definitely excited for this release.
Do you know if 1.6 will come with any performance enhancements not mentioned in the changelog?
josevalim
Can you please report those? Unless you were relying on a bug, everything should just work™.
We always do small changes that improve performance but I don’t believe we have anything that would be easily noticeable.
sergio
Do you prefer I open an issue on the Elixir github repo or just paste them here?
Eiji
@josevalim: I’m trying
defguardnowMy current version
Here is my version of guard for rgb(a) check:
Extra
With call like:
as expected returns error:
but … is it possible to describe which guard part fails like in normal function guards?
My question
Is it possible to write it somehow nicer? I would like to separate:
a) rgb check (
in 0..255) of all elementsb) rgba check
I would like to have it looks like:
Any ideas?
Note: Of course I know that
defguarddoes not work like I invented it and I don’t ask to change it. I just want to ask for better (if any) version than my original.benwilson512
Unfortunately can’t reproduce this in a fresh clone, but I’m getting
after the upgrade. Did the usual
rm -rf _build depsthing.josevalim
Here is great!
I have tried it locally and it did show which guards failed, albeit the expanded version of is_rgb.
I could reproduce it on gettext. Fixed on master and v1.6 branches, thanks!
chrismcg
Congrats on the RC! I’ve played with the new formatter and have a couple of questions about what it’s doing.
Why does
oauth_credsget()added whenmapdoesn’t?Likely related to above:
The
.castcall change is fine by me, but I’m definitely not used to/don’t like the Logger call having to have brackets. Same with Ecto macros e.g.:and:
I realise that I could just type the non bracket version and have an editor plugin format it but I find the non bracket form easier to parse as a human (this is just my personal opinion of course). In general I’ve found the formatter:
Thanks again to everyone involved in the new RC for all the hard work.
Eiji
@josevalim: I tried it with
asdf:So I compiled it from source from git tag
v1.6.0-rc.0.I tried it both in
iexshell and after creating new projectmix new example(of course after update).What could I miss?
josevalim
The default in the formatter is to always add parens except for:
variables, such as
mapin your specs. If we changed it tomap(), we would change the AST, which means the code before and after are no longer equivalent - and that’s a no-no for a code formatterlocal calls listed in your
.formatter.exsunder:locals_without_parens. So if you don’t wanthas_manyand friends to have parens, you just need to list them in your.formatter.exsfile. See the docs formix formatandCode.format_string!