Elixir v1.7.0-rc.1 is out

Hi everyone,

We have just released the second release candidate for the next Elixir version: v1.7.0-rc.1.

The CHANGELOG and precompiled files are here: https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/releases/tag/v1.7.0-rc.1

In particular, this release solves a bug in umbrella projects / path dependencies. So if your project failed to compile in the previous RC, please give this one a try. Let us know in the comments if you found any bugs or if everything worked out fine.

You can either compile the v1.7 branch from source OR use the precompiled files, as described in our install page.

Note that you will need {:ex_doc, "~> 0.19-rc"} if you want to generate docs using the release candidate.

Happy coding!

20 Likes

Works for me. Tested with an umbrella project.

3 Likes

Whats the guidance on updating libs to use the new @doc metadata tags? When I update a project to 1.7.0-rc.* I get compiler warnings with @since and @deprecated (fine). If however I move to the new @doc since: "new version" I get compiler errors on current and older releases (as expected)

Does this mean I have to use conditional compilation to be backwards compatible without errors and warnings?

1 Like

A hard-deprecation of the old feature instantly when introducing the replacement?

Wasn’t the rule to soft-deprecate first for ~2 minors and only then hard deprecate the replaced feature?

Its not hard deprecated - it just emits compiler warnings. Since this is a lib that others use I try hard to remove all warnings since, to a consumer, it looks like an uncaring developer and smelly code. Hence why I’m picky.

5 Likes

Emitting warnings is a hard deprecation. Not eimitting them but not documenting is soft deprecation.

2 Likes

I have four applications that work together using path dependencies (not using umbrella). The apps were working okay in 1.6.6, but would not start under the 1.7.0-rc.0 release. They are working again with the 1.7.0-rc.1 release. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve been using 1.7 branch as my development environment since before rc.0. So far it’s working great (tested on 3 umbrella projects). The only problem I stumbled into was absinthe failing to compile specs (already fixed btw.)

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We shall release the final version tomorrow, so if you haven’t given it a try yet, don’t forget to do it in the next 24 hours. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Gonna use it in my production now, to see if something breaks, lol.

1 Like

Still using it in production for one of my play servers with OTP20 without any noticed issues as of yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had an issue with 1.7.0-rc.0 and an umbrella project. 1.7.0-rc.1 looks fine so far with the same project.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve tested the rc.1 on two umbrella projects with absinthe and phoenix. Everything looks good, tests pass.

2 Likes