josevalim
Creator of Elixir
Hi everyone,
We have just released Elixir v1.8.0-rc.0. For more information, checkout the CHANGELOG.
Please give it a try and give us feedback. If everything “just works™”, please let us know that too. Your feedback is really important!
To try it out, you can either compile the v1.8 branch from source OR use the precompiled files, as described in our install page .
Happy holidays!
Trending in News
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Eiji
@josevalim Awesome work especially that you released it today! I have just tried it and for now everything seems to work. I have only one question … Is it expected to work like that?
Maybe I do not get how it should work, but I though that all of those 3 names are correct for
UTC…josevalim
To know that Etc/Zulu is a thing (or an alias to be more precise) we need a database and we don’t ship with a database by default, so we literally only know about Etc/UTC. TL;DR - that’s expected, yes.
sneako
How exciting! I have installed the rc and tried it with a few of my repos. All of my smaller repos just work™, but I have two larger projects that depend on cachex which fail to compile:
https://github.com/whitfin/cachex/blob/master/lib/cachex/spec/validator.ex#L36
josevalim
@sneako that’s definitely a bug. Can you please fill in a report? Thank you!
frigidcode
Congrats! Looking forward to testing it out.
Edit: Used
asdf list-all elixirto find the proper version to use.sneako
You can build it with asdf straight from github using
ref:likeasdf install elixir ref:v1.8.0-rc.0Eiji
No need, just update plugin and use
asdf install elixir 1.8.0-rc.0-otp-21kip
Compiled and tested ex_cldr and other derived packages with no issues at all, and compilation did indeed feel faster. Thanks for yet another solid release.
Can’t wait to get my new
Cldr.Calendarspackage out the door based upon the newCalendarbehaviour additions. It will also support serving configuration to the new formatter as well.dom
I can see that
forsupports a new:reduceargument, but it’s not mentioned in the master branch doc:https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/master/Kernel.SpecialForms.html#for/1
Should I look somewhere else for the doc?
josevalim
It seems our automated tools stopped updating the docs, we will investigate, thank you!