EddTally
I have a Java class which is stored as an encrypted class for important security reasons then only decrypted at application startup, this is completed by various Java tools, I would like the same to happen to my Elixir Module.
Is there a similar/recommended thing in Elixir/Erlang?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cmo
So you write a module, encrypt and save to disk/db, application reads it and loads module? Where does the encryption key live?
EddTally
Currently on the encrypted file which isn’t good.
So I would change my question to, what is the best way to go about securing an important module, so that if I am hacked, the hacker cannot see the encryption methods I am using, and therefore decrypt all data.
hauleth
If the module is unencrypted in memory, then they can dump all of that. If you encrypted the module, then you also have key for that encryption stored anywhere in the memory or in a file that is readable by current application.
In short, it doesn’t really make sense to me to encrypt the BEAM files.
EddTally
The module would be created then encrypted and the original deleted, the module would not be stored anywhere in an unencrypted format, but I can dismiss this idea if you think it doesn’t make sense, because as you stated key storage is a problem.
Would you suggest a different method of keeping my elixir encryption method secret in case of a dump?
harmon25
You must secure the keys. Not the methods.
A motivated attacker can likely guess or infer the method based on structure of the encrypted blob.
EddTally
I see, this was in-part motivated by the recent Twitch dump… Really don’t want that happening to me.
hauleth
Just use method properly, then even if there will be a breach, as long as the key do not leak, you will be safe. There is little to no point of keeping encryption method secret. It can help with slowing down attack, but itself it does nothing. As long as your protocol do not have flaws and keys are secure then forcing yourself with hiding encryption method is pointless. See at the TLS where encryption method is actually public.
f0rest8
I’d like to second what @hauleth said.
You should be able to reveal how you encrypt data (minus the key) and that data should still remain effectively safe. That is the overall meaning or expectation behind strong/good encryption (I’m “colloquializing” but for simplicity’s sake).
You don’t want to have an encryption method that’s strength is due to the obfuscation of the method. That would render it effectively weak or not good encryption and would provide a false sense of security for you and the people depending on the encryption.
I’m not sure for your particular use-case what strategy you may want to take, but the enacl library mentioned in my other post is an elixir library that enables you to work with the world class NaCl/libsodium libraries.
So, storing keys separately is typically how it’s done. There are even key management services you can use that are more sophisticated ways of, again, storing keys separately so that if your encrypted data is obtained, it’s not necessarily obtained with the keys to decrypt it.
Cloak is another elixir library that is geared more toward what it sounds like you’re trying to do: encrypted at rest in the db (cloak_ecto too if dealing specifically with ecto).