ElixirConf 2023 - Zach Daniel - Ash 3 0 Better Together

ElixirConf: ElixirConf 2023 - Zach Daniel - Ash 3 0 Better Together

Comments welcome! View the elixirconf tag for more ElixirConf talks!

13 Likes

I believe this talk was a tipping point for many of us. Great talk!

Phoenix is a unique framework; itā€™s not really a framework in the traditional sense found in other languages (donā€™t call us, weā€™ll call you- kinda motto). Instead, itā€™s just part of the user request and HTML rendering pipeline created by Plug. It doesnā€™t impose any specific opinions on how to structure, represent, or access data and business rules. This is particularly fantastic once you move beyond the ā€˜hello worldā€™ stage (who hasnā€™t faced some challenges dealing with a frameworkā€™s magic?).

Ash fitā€™s right there, where phoenix tells you to write a context and do what ever you need or want.

I truly appreciate Elixir for how its tools are composable. In this case, you can seamlessly use one, two, or none of these tools to achieve your desired outcome.

6 Likes

Nice talk indeed. Thx!

Iā€™m intrigued by the duality between regular Elixir code and SQL filters. Itā€™s something Iā€™ve tackled many times before, encoding business rules both in Elixir code and in queries. Where can I read more about that subject? Iā€™ve found this: Expressions ā€” ash v2.15.17 but maybe there is a better resource when starting out fresh.

Right now that is probably the best resource that we have, but youā€™re definitely right about how our expressions aim to solve for that duality by being ā€œportableā€ instead of running on a single data layer (I.e can be run in elixir, SQLite, Postgres).