ElixirLS Extension Not Working, Support Needed using ASDF & Brew & Elixir

Good day, folks!

This is my first day using Elixir (1.14.4 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 25)) & the ElixirLS: Elixir support and debugger VS Code extension (v0.15.3).

When I try running the extension on VS Code (for my code “checkmate_api”), I receive an error about
the module ElixirLS.Shell.Quiet.

Running /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/launch.sh
Looking for ASDF install in /usr/local/opt/asdf/libexec/asdf.sh
ASDF found, relaunching in bash shell
Sourcing ASDF
** (ArgumentError) could not call Module.put_attribute/3 because the module ElixirLS.Shell.Quiet is already compiled
    (elixir 1.14.4) lib/module.ex:2504: Module.assert_not_readonly!/2
    (elixir 1.14.4) lib/module.ex:2201: Module.__put_attribute__/5
    /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:60: (module)
    /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:59: (file)
[Error - 12:42:28 PM] Server initialization failed.
  Message: Pending response rejected since connection got disposed
  Code: -32097 
[Info  - 12:42:28 PM] Connection to server got closed. Server will restart.
true
[Error - 12:42:28 PM] ElixirLS - checkmate_api client: couldn't create connection to server.
Running /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/launch.sh
Sourcing ASDF
** (ArgumentError) could not call Module.put_attribute/3 because the module ElixirLS.Shell.Quiet is already compiled
    /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:60: (module)
    /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:59: (file)
[Error - 12:42:30 PM] Server initialization failed.
[Info  - 12:42:30 PM] Connection to server got closed. Server will restart.
true
[Error - 12:42:30 PM] ElixirLS - checkmate_api client: couldn't create connection to server.
Sourcing ASDF
[Error - 12:42:32 PM] Server initialization failed.
[Info  - 12:42:32 PM] Connection to server got closed. Server will restart.
true
[Error - 12:42:32 PM] ElixirLS - checkmate_api client: couldn't create connection to server.
[Error - 12:42:32 PM] Restarting server failed
Sourcing ASDF
[Error - 12:42:33 PM] Server initialization failed.
[Info  - 12:42:33 PM] Connection to server got closed. Server will restart.
true
[Error - 12:42:33 PM] ElixirLS - checkmate_api client: couldn't create connection to server.
[Error - 12:42:33 PM] Restarting server failed
Sourcing ASDF
[Error - 12:42:36 PM] Server initialization failed.
[Error - 12:42:36 PM] The ElixirLS - checkmate_api server crashed 5 times in the last 3 minutes. The server will not be restarted. See the output for more information.
[Error - 12:42:36 PM] ElixirLS - checkmate_api client: couldn't create connection to server.
[Error - 12:42:36 PM] Restarting server failed

I’ve been racking my brain trying to understand what’s happening here and this has led to many installs, uninstalls, and reinstalls using homebrew & asdf. When installing elixir via asdf, I’ve noticed that in my root directory of my “users/nathangupta”, we create a hidden directory with an elixir executable:

/Users/nathangupta/.asdf/shims/elixir

and then the versions are added in the “installs” directory.

I’ve also noticed that I have elixir in this directory /usr/local/Cellar/elixir/1.15.2 likely because I did brew install elixir.

What I don’t understand is why we look for ASDF twice if it’s found the first time, and I’m not sure what’s happening the second time around.

For additional context, this is my ./zshrc file.

if command -v pyenv 1>/dev/null 2>&1; then eval "$(pyenv init -)"; fi

export PATH="/Library/PostgreSQL/14/bin:$PATH"
export PATH="/usr/local/opt/docker/bin:$PATH"
export PATH="/usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d/docker:$PATH"
export PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
export PATH="/usr/local/opt/erlang/bin:$PATH"
export PATH="/usr/local/Cellar/:$PATH"

export LDFLAGS="-L$(brew --prefix openssl)/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I$(brew --prefix openssl)/include"

export PATH="/usr/local/opt/erlang@25/bin:$PATH"

export PATH="$PATH:/Users/nathangupta/.local/bin"

. /usr/local/opt/asdf/libexec/asdf.sh

I don’t use VSCode, but other editor that integrates with Elixir LS and I think I saw an issue where it didn’t work if I started my editor from a different path than my project path.

So what I do is that I open a terminal, then navigate to the project directory. This picks up the .tool-version file and sets all the paths and env variables up and from within that directory I launch my code editor.

Did you try doing exactly that?

2 Likes

Strange issue, I opened Launch script can fail · Issue #944 · elixir-lsp/elixir-ls · GitHub
It looks like ElixirLS.Shell.Quiet is already compiled in your shell. Have you installed elixir-ls from brew?
You should be able to execute /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/language_server.sh from your project directory. You can also try directly running the launch script

export ELS_MODE=language_server
export MIX_ENV=prod
elixir --erl "-kernel standard_io_encoding latin1" "/Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/launch.exs"

maybe it will help to spot what’s wrong

What I don’t understand is why we look for ASDF twice

The launch script starts as a POSIX shell script and then it reloads itself as bash or zsh script. ASDF does not support POSIX shell

1 Like

Really appreciate the suggestion. I gave this a shot & still no luck. I’m seeing the same error.

Thank you for this suggestion too! And I appreciate you opening the issue in the extension repo. So I didn’t install elixir-ls directly; instead I installed elixir using homebrew & the elixir-ls extension on VS Code. However, I’ve since tried installing elixir-ls via brew, and I’m seeing the same issue.

What I’m trying to figure out is where I might have an extra path or an extra install that’s leading to an already compiled ElixirLS.Shell.Quiet

1 Like

Another thought–why is this relaunching in a bash shell when I use zsh on my local Terminal & I see zsh in the VS Code terminal?

Probably the better way would be to check '$SHELL`

Oh so if I do echo $SHELL in VS Code and my local Terminal, I see ‘/bin/zsh’.
But then when I run the launch command for Elixir LS or go into VS Code, I see

“ASDF found, relaunching in bash shell

nathangupta@Nathans-MacBook-Pro checkmate_api % /Users/nathangupta/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.15.3/elixir-ls-release/language_server.sh
Sourcing ASDF

Unfortunately I’m not able to reproduce your issue. Please uninstall brew installed elixir-ls as it’s some unofficial package. Clean up your extension directory as well. Also in my experience ASDF, elixir and erlang installed via brew equals problems

1 Like

I had a similar error to you and fixed it.
In my case, I installed elixir via asdf a while back and eventually uninstalled it (I just use brew installed elixir now).

But there were leftover configuration files that were being picked up by ElixirLS. I needed to do the following:

$ rm -rf ~/.asdf/
$ rm -rf ~/.tool-versions
1 Like

I also use asdf and I had a similar problem. I solved it by adding erlang to my ~/.tool-versions

elixir 1.15.7
erlang 26.0