jeffdeville

jeffdeville

Elixir 1.3.4 & 1.4.0

dt1 = %DateTime{calendar: Calendar.ISO, day: 12, hour: 0, month: 1, std_offset: 0, time_zone: "Etc/UTC", utc_offset: 0, year: 2017, zone_abbr: "UTC", microsecond: {878630, 6}, minute: 57, second: 59}
dt2 = %DateTime{calendar: Calendar.ISO, day: 12, hour: 0, month: 1, std_offset: 0, time_zone: "Etc/UTC", utc_offset: 0, year: 2017, zone_abbr: "UTC", microsecond: {481183, 6}, minute: 58, second: 2}
dt1 <= dt2
false

This was part of a spec that had been working fine until I upgraded Ecto to 2.1, and swapped out Ecto.DateTime for elixir’s DateTime. After upgrading to 1.4.0, I tried DateTime.compare, which seemed to work

DateTime.compare(dt1, dt2)
:lt

What am I missing here?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

bbense

bbense

Basic Erlang ordering often produces confusing results when you apply it to complicated data structures such as a map with Tuples.

Look into the Erlang man page on Comparision operators and Term ordering

The arguments can be of different data types. The following order is defined:

number < atom < reference < fun < port < pid < tuple < map < nil < list < bit string
Lists are compared element by element. Tuples are ordered by size, two tuples with the same size are compared element by element.

Maps are ordered by size, two maps with the same size are compared by keys in ascending term order and then by values in key order. In maps key order integers types are considered less than floats types.

When comparing an integer to a float, the term with the lesser precision is converted into the type of the other term, unless the operator is one of =:= or =/=. A float is more precise than an integer until all significant figures of the float are to the left of the decimal point. This happens when the float is larger/smaller than +/-9007199254740992.0. The conversion strategy is changed depending on the size of the float because otherwise comparison of large floats and integers would lose their transitivity.

Term comparison operators return the Boolean value of the expression, true or false.

So since DateTime is a map, it will sort the keys in term order, and microsecond is before minute. Once it finds a key that disgrees it stops searching.

It is possible to make structs that will sort properly with the default Erlang term ordering, but it is quite tricky and often leads to many strange edge cases and odd naming conventions.

jeffdeville

jeffdeville OP

Thanks for the info!

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Do note, the ‘nil’ in Erlang is not the ‘nil’ in Elixir. The nil in Elixir is just an atom, nothing special about it whatsoever (I really wish Elixir did not confuse these two things). The ‘nil’ in Erlang is the empty list in Elixir [].

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

nil is the empty list in Erlang [] as well, we just call it nil by tradition. We were lisp hackers from way back.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews