phollyer
I’m trying to set up some custom mix tasks for working with elm but when I call:
Mix.shell.cmd("elm init")
I get the prompt from elm asking whether to proceed in creating elm.json, but after I type ‘y’ and hit enter the process hangs.
When I break out, the message
thread blocked indefinitely in an MVar operation
is printed to the console. I searched for this string, and only get back results relating to Haskell so I’m guessing the elm compiler and mix/elixir aren’t playing nice together when user input is required.
The following command works fine (presumably because it doesn’t require any user input from the cmd line):
Mix.shell.cmd("elm make #{@elm_src} --output=#{@elm_output_file} --debug")
I’ve also tried with System.cmd to no avail.
Any ideas on how to interact with Elm/Haskell from a mix task? Is it even possible?
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kokolegorille
I don’t know Elm, but would this work?
NobbZ
The BEAM in general doesn’t like it.
stdinof your application isn’t magically wired tostdinof the executed shell program.You need to find a way to either enforce overwriting all, or to cancel in case of a conflict.
Or to write a
Porton your own, that intercepts output and splices input in a way that you can remote control the Port depending on the users input.If I had a choice, I’d try with enforcing/canceling approach…
phollyer
Unfortunately Elm doesn’t accept flags on the
initcmd, so that’s not an option.phollyer
Not too sure what you mean here. Would you be able to elaborate/explain further?
Thanks
NobbZ
A well designed generator has flags to either assume hard confirmation of overwrites on conflict or to abort the process on conflicts. You already said
elm initdoes not support this.In my opinion this is worth a feature request on the elm side of things…
phollyer
Wasn’t sure if you meant the flag option or something above my ‘pay grade’
Thanks for clarifying.
That was my thought’s too so I’ll head over to Elm and add the request.
This itself is not a major issue, the generator only generates a simple json file which I could do myself, but other cmds such as
installalso require y/n input so was hoping it was going to possible from a mix task.The
Portoption might be outside my current elixir/IO skills, but I’ll dip my toes into the water over the weekend and see what transpires.Thanks
OvermindDL1
It’s not that hard, I recommend it. The
erlexeclibrary (yes it’s erlang but works perfect in elixir) wraps up that work with a much better interface and error handling.But yeah, you’ll need to send the information (the
y<enter>in this case) to elm’sstdin.