OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

So I’ve been looking at learning/integrating Elm into a new section on my server software as it would be especially well suited to it, however there were a lot of other Javascript modules on the page/site that already use the websocket and when I tried to use elm-phoenix-socket I found a multitude of problems, the first and largest of which was that it had no method of being able to share an Elm and Javascript websocket, as well as others like no heartbeats (at the time), no presence (I use it in a surprisingly large amount of ways now), and no longpolling support. Thus I shelved Elm for a bit and started to write it in redux/react.

Well got fed up with javascript again so tried elm again, this time ignoring elm-phoenix-socket’s existence and communicating via ports. I’m quite new to Elm so I have no clue if this is the ‘usual’ API style, but it seemed natural to me from Elixir/Erlang. I can use an existing javascript phoenix socket and all the javascript capabilities (that I have needed so far) via methods like:

init : ( Model, Cmd Msg )
init = ( Model 
  -- snip things
  , Phoenix.connect_to
    { topic="Messenger:public"
    , timeout_ms=Nothing -- Just 10000 -- Default value
    , chanCloseCB=Nothing
    , chanErrorCB=Nothing
    , joinData=null
    , joinEvent=[]
    , onPorts=
      [ {portName="onMyChannelMsg", msgID="some:msg", cb_data=null}
      -- , other message listeners
      ]
    }

And so when I receive a “some:msg” from the phoenix server via the Phoenix socket (websocket/longpolling/whatever, we have some old ‘browsers’ here that do not have websocket support) it will then call back to the port with the name of portName (“onMyChannelMsg” in this case) with a record like:

type alias ChannelGenericMsg =
    { topic : String
    , msgID : String
    , msg : Json.Decode.Value
    , cb_data : Json.Decode.Value
    }

So I can define all the ports I want of the form of:

port onMyChannelMsg : (Phoenix.ChannelGenericMsg -> msg) -> Sub msg

So I can listen to whatever messages I want, passed into whatever calls I wish and I have similar calls for sending a message, being able to (un)register channels on the fly and fixup presence data (not needed anything else yet).

So is this normal Elm design, is something going to horribly break with this design?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

marick

marick

How did your socket story go? I’m just now adding websockets to an elm app, and it appears the available Elm options don’t allow key-value pairs to be passed at connect time (when /web/channels/user_socket#connect is called). That’s awkward, because that’s where the Phoenix book suggests you do authentication via Phoenix.Token. Authentication could be done at channel-join time, I guess, but this not being allowed makes me wonder if any of the Elm options are ready for production use.

marick

marick

Um… I think I see, by looking at phoenix.js that Phoenix gets its params from uris like ws://localhost:4000/socket/websocket?auth_token=foo

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1 OP

Yeah I ended up writing my own elm phoenix library, still using it to this day. Socket setup is in javascript because I had other javascript code that needed access to it too.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews