achempion

achempion

Hi,

I’m exploring the idea of writing Emacs-like terminal editor in Elixir.

The base idea is to run mix run --no-halt and then use libraries like
GitHub - ndreynolds/ratatouille: A TUI (terminal UI) kit for Elixir · GitHub to manage terminal window.

You could recompile/extend your editor on the fly by running r(Module)
or use the helper IEx.Helpers.recompile().

The issue I have is I’m getting compilation messages to the editor
window when I run recompilation. I think the source is from
Mix.Utils.compiling_n/2. Also, things like IO.inspect/1 will write
directly to STDOUT.

I would like to redefine that to make it write to a different place,
basically to some variable/gen server when I can view it later by
issuing a command from editor.

So, my questions is basically this:

  • is it possible to write Emacs in Elixir (in terms of live programming
    environment)

  • do I need to compile to a final app or it’s possible only when running in
    development mode, i.e. having tools like mix/iex/recompilation

  • should I write custom logging backend for Mix.shell().info/1, I
    don’t want to silence it with MIX_QUIET (but it looks like I’m still
    can’t silence compiling messages with this ENV variable)

Thank you

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews