tomazbracic

tomazbracic

Dear all,

I am building a nerves based firmware where I will be using mTLS. For that I build my own CA and generated all the certificates. For shipping data I will be using emqtt client.

I have successfully connected and I am able to send messages between client and server service which is as well built with elixir. In-between there is NGINX on cloud edge for TLS termination and MQTT broker where messages go to.

WANT TO DO:
gateway <---- mTLS port: 8883 ------> Nginx <---- port: 1883 -----> EMQX broker ↔ my cloud service

TESTING:
mqttx GUI app <---- mTLS port: 8883 ------> Nginx <---- port: 1883 -----> EMQX broker ↔ my cloud service

I can use certificates and test everything with my MQTTX app. It works and I can see client connected to broker.

If I try to use the same certificates later with my “want to do” setup, so in elixir I get full of reconnections in my logs and one of the error that bothers me is something around hostname

16:52:58.810 [notice] TLS :client: In state :wait_cert at ssl_handshake.erl:2182 generated CLIENT ALERT: Fatal - Handshake Failure
 - {:bad_cert, :hostname_check_failed}

16:52:58.810 [info] Starting MQTT Client

16:52:58.811 [info] Client ID set to: testko

16:52:58.811 [debug] Timer set to 5000 milliseconds

16:52:58.944 [notice] TLS :client: In state :wait_cert at ssl_handshake.erl:2182 generated CLIENT ALERT: Fatal - Handshake Failure
 - {:bad_cert, :hostname_check_failed}

16:52:58.944 [info] Starting MQTT Client

16:52:58.944 [info] Client ID set to: testko

though... I used the same certs in MQTTX app on the same dev laptop and was successfully connected. So I guess there is still configuration issue?

My configuration is

config :testko, :emqtt,
  host: "prefix.mydomain.com",
  port: 8883,
  clientid: "testko",
  clean_start: false,
  ssl: true,
  ssl_opts: [
    cacertfile: "certs/ca-chain.cert.pem",
    certfile: "certs/client3.cert.pem",
    keyfile: "certs/client3.key.pem",
    tls_versions: [:"tlsv1.2", :"tlsv1.3"],
    verify: :verify_peer,
    fail_if_no_peer_cert: true
  ],
  name: :emqtt,
  reconnect: true,
  reconnect_interval: 10000

I even tried puthing cacertfile, certfile and keyfile in single quotes. Nothing really works.

Can anyone see anything problematic in my configuration? Does anybody have emqtt client configured with mTLS and actually works?

I would really appreciate any help/feedback/direction/blog/tutorial/doc where this would be explained.

Thanks in advance!

Tomaz

Showing Posts 1 to 5

tomazbracic

tomazbracic OP

I tested the certificates with openssl tool as well. Based on that PKI part is ok. mTLS works. But how to configure this with emqtt is now a mistery to me.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

As mentioned on slack many of those setting need to be charlists instead of binaries based on the specs on the emqtt repo and ones pointed to on OTP:

  • host
  • ssl_opts → all …_file ones

You can prefix the quoted values with ~c"…" to make them charlists.

clientid is speced as iodata, which is a supertype to binary, so that one is fine.

tomazbracic

tomazbracic OP

I did that as well.

config :testko, :emqtt,
  host: ~c"prefix.mydomain.com",
  port: 8883,
  clientid: "testko",
  clean_start: false,
  ssl: true,
  ssl_opts: [
    cacertfile: ~c"certs/ca-chain.cert.pem",
    certfile:
      ~c"certs/client-nemo_gw_3.cert.pem",
    keyfile:
      ~c"certs/client-nemo_gw_3.key.pem",
    tls_versions: [:"tlsv1.2", :"tlsv1.3"],
    verify: :verify_peer,
    log_level: :debug,
    server_name_indication: ~c"prefix.mydomain.com",
    # depth: 3,
    customize_hostname_check: [
      match_fun: :public_key.pkix_verify_hostname_match_fun(:https)
    ],
    fail_if_no_peer_cert: true
  ],
  name: :emqtt,
  reconnect: true,
  reconnect_interval: 10000

And this still don’t work. Though now I get bunch of messages like this - reconnecting

➜  testko git:(drugi) ✗ iex -S mix
Erlang/OTP 27 [erts-15.0.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:10:10] [ds:10:10:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]


10:05:26.241 [info] Starting MQTT Supervisor

10:05:26.243 [info] Starting MQTT Client

10:05:26.254 [info] Client ID set to: testko

10:05:26.254 [debug] Timer set to 5000 milliseconds
Interactive Elixir (1.17.2) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)

10:05:26.382 [info] Starting MQTT Client

10:05:26.382 [info] Client ID set to: testko

10:05:26.382 [debug] Timer set to 5000 milliseconds

10:05:26.442 [info] Starting MQTT Client

10:05:26.442 [info] Client ID set to: testko

10:05:26.442 [debug] Timer set to 5000 milliseconds

10:05:26.497 [info] Starting MQTT Client

10:05:26.497 [info] Client ID set to: testko

10:05:26.497 [debug] Timer set to 5000 milliseconds

10:05:26.553 [info] Starting MQTT Client

10:05:26.554 [info] Client ID set to: testko

10:05:26.554 [debug] Timer set to 5000 milliseconds

10:05:26.602 [info] Starting MQTT Client

10:05:26.602 [info] Client ID set to: testko

10:05:26.602 [debug] Timer set to 5000 milliseconds
jjcarstens

jjcarstens

Nerves Core Team

I have not used emqtt, but have 2 thoughts to try:

  • Use absolute paths instead of relative to rule out file structure inconsistency. Or even use the DER format there instead of files just to get it working
  • Many brokers only allow one connection at a time. When I see things seem to connect and then disconnect without much else, it’s usually because the same cert and/or client ID is already connected elsewhere and the broker ungracefully kicks the connection. This could be some test process already connect elsewhere (ie on host) or multiple processes trying to make the connection and getting in each others way

Outside of that, I’m unsure. I think we need the SSL debug logs here to maybe be useful. Or reach out to the library maintainers. There is nothing different starting it on server, host, or nerves device

tomazbracic

tomazbracic OP

This is now what works. I found the right configuration.

config :testko, :emqtt,
  host: "prefix.mydomain.com",
  port: 8883,
  clientid: "testko",
  clean_start: false,
  ssl: true,
  ssl_opts: [
    cacertfile: ~c"/root/certificates/ca-chain.cert.pem",
    certfile: ~c"/root/certificates/client-nemo_gw_1.cert.pem",
    keyfile: ~c"/root/certificates/client-nemo_gw_1.key.pem",
    tls_versions: [:"tlsv1.2", :"tlsv1.3"],
    verify: :verify_peer,
    server_name_indication: ~c"prefix.mydomain.com"
  ],
  name: :emqtt,
  reconnect: true,
  reconnect_interval: 10000

Thanks for the help.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews