kuon

kuon

I have a page with a large state that is loaded from DB, let’s call that “data”.

I have a root live view that load “data” on mount and render different live components (one component per tab).

This is to allow switching tab without hitting the DB.

Now, my issue was that each component is really isolated for the state (like selection), and I wanted to be able to do something like send(self(), {:select_part, part}) and do the handle_info in the component rendering the current tab, and now the “root live view”.

I found a neat solution I want to share as it might be a common issue.

In the deep down component, instead of doing send() do send_update(DrawTabComponent, id: "draw_tab", action: {:select_part, part}).

Then in the DrawTabComponent implement update like:

  @impl true
  def update(%{action: {:select_part, part}}, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, selected_part: part)}
  end

  @impl true
  def update(regular_assigns, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, regular_assigns)}
  end

This allow for the same organization/code split as nested live view. Each update(%{action implementation is similar to a handle_info, without overriding the regular update, thus allowing a similar decoupling as live view mount/handle_params and handle_info

Showing Posts 1 to 3

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

send_update is for exactly this kind of thing :slight_smile: I also do the :action key to handle non-render updates, so looks great!

fceruti

fceruti

Thanks for the tip :raising_hands:

(bump)

jcorte-real

jcorte-real

Thank you so much, this helped me a lot!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Guides/Tuts Top

rogach
I’ve spent some time understanding how to do hot code reloading with releases built using mix release, and here I’d like to detail the st...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews