CharlesO
How does Iex tab-completion work in Linux?
How can we emulate same or similar in Windows without WERL.exe ?
Where can we start looking?
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/issues/4103
I doubt if this is a VM related issue.
If linux simply provides modules required for this feature that are missing on windows, then I believe we have a direction for a solution.
Your thoughts?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
perrautc
You can get auto completion in windows by passing
when opening iex.iex --werl -S mix
or in powershell
iex.bat --werl -S mix
you can set this as your default option by setting your environment veriable
IEX_WITH_WERL
thiagomajesk
I think that werl is not the best solution for someone working on the terminal since it disrupts the experience by opening a new window - also it’s ugly as hell
.
@CharlesO I’ve tested some solutions on Windows without much success. I’ve posted more details on my findings in the existing issue: Autocomplete in IEx broken (on Windows) · Issue #4103 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
.
CharlesO
same here. I just manage Cmder/ ConEmu and live without auto-completion
Arpple
using elixir in ubuntu wsl + window terminal, everything works
thiagomajesk
I think the point is to have native support on Windows. Besides, WSL (1 and 2) has a lot of problems and puts yet another step that generates friction on preping your dev environment.
CharlesO
I don’t bother with WSL at all.
Like you mentioned IRB works just fine with the windows console out of the box, hopefully IEx will get to that level
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Coming to this after several years, I just wanted to point out there is currently a chance at getting funding to implement this functionality (if someone is interested). You can find out more about it here:
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/issues/4103#issuecomment-1002135512
DeeHants
For the record, it was fixed (see the issue above in erlang OTP 26.
You can grab Erlang OTP 26 RC1 here: Release OTP 26.0-rc1 · erlang/otp · GitHub
This may be the default once that’s released.