fxn

fxn

The release docs of Phoenix say to put

config :my_app, MyApp.Endpoint, server: true

in config/prod.secret.exs. However, while that file is processed when the release task runs, it is not processed when the release starts. The application resource file of Phoenix has serve_endpoints to false, and the resource file of the Phoenix application itself does not include application environment.

How does that flag end up in the release? Where is it stored and loaded?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

fxn

fxn OP

I suspect the key is the :persistent flag. Need to connect the dots from where is the flag set, to how persistent flags survive compilation.

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

The configuration of your config/config.exs files is - as you probably already know - evaluated at build time. In case of a release this is when you’re assembling the release.

The fully evaluated configuration is then written to the sys.config file in your release folder (which is an erlang file). Assuming you have an app called my_app and built a release for the prod environment with the app version 0.1.0 you can find it at _build/prod/rel/my_app/releases/0.1.0/sys.config.

Here is how it looks for a project of ours (with sensitive configuration replaced with ***):

[{distillery,
     [{config_providers,
          [{'Elixir.Distillery.Releases.Config.Providers.Elixir',
               [<<"${RELEASE_ROOT_DIR}/etc/config.exs">>]}]}]},
 {sasl,[{errlog_type,error},{sasl_error_logger,false}]},
 {facts,
     [{ecto_repos,['Elixir.MyApp.Repo']},
      {generators,[{binary_id,true}]},
      {'Elixir.MyAppWeb.Gettext',[{default_locale,<<"de">>}]}]},
      {'Elixir.MyAppWeb.Endpoint',
          [{url,[{host,<<"***">>}]},
           {secret_key_base, <<"***">>},
           {render_errors,
               [{view,'Elixir.MyAppWeb.ErrorView'},
                {accepts,[<<"html">>,<<"json">>]}]},
           {pubsub,
               [{name,'Elixir.MyApp.PubSub'},
                {adapter,'Elixir.Phoenix.PubSub.PG2'}]},
           {live_view,[{signing_salt,<<"***">>}]}]}]},
 {phoenix,[{json_library,'Elixir.Jason'}]},
 {logger,
     [{console,
          [{format,<<"$time $metadata[$level] $message\n">>},
           {metadata,[request_id]}]},
      {level,info}]},
 {sentry,
     [{included_environments,[<<"production">>,<<"staging">>]},
      {enable_source_code_context,true}]}].

While this particular project is using distillery to assemble the release the process is fundamentally the same of you use elixir releases.

fxn

fxn OP

Aaahh, indeed, I believe there was a day in which I knew that, had totally forgotten it. Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews