Jim
I’m new to Elixir, and from what I read heavy use of recursion is mandatory. With that in mind, I look at this simple blink example I found:
defmodule FlightController do
use Application
@blink_duration 150 # ms
@led_pin 18
@gpio_on 1
@gpio_off 0
def start(_type, _args) do
{:ok, pid} = Gpio.start_link(@led_pin, :output)
spawn fn -> blink_forever(pid) end
{:ok, self}
end
def blink_forever(pid) do
Gpio.write(pid, @gpio_on)
:timer.sleep @blink_duration
Gpio.write(pid, @gpio_off)
:timer.sleep @blink_duration
blink_forever(pid)
end
end
In my non-Elixir experience, recursive programs build a new stack with each call and release it when the last recursive call returns. You can’t do it forever because you’ll be out of stack space. So, this example couldn’t work on another platform. I have not run it but I’m guessing it does work.
My question, then, is, how does Elixir / BEAM implement recursion?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
CptnKirk
Elixir / Beam supports tail-call optimization.
cmkarlsson
The BEAM uses Tail Call Optimization (TCO) to avoid blowing the stack.
As an example:
is not TCO because the recursive can only be done when it is the last operation of the function. In the fac function above it needs to keep the frame to do the multiplication.
This can be re-written in a TCO fashion by using an accumulator to hold the result.
In your case the
blink_forever(pid)call is the last in the function and hence will use TCO.Jim
So then TCO just turns the recursive function into a loop. Thanks!
christhekeele
Yep, in fact otp has an idiom for running a self-calling recursive loop in its own process, in such a way that it can respond to messages from other processes and keep track of some internal state: that’s really all a GenServer is. However it has extra tooling to help keep it alive and respawn to a known good state in the event of errors.
rvirding
Actually the tail call optimisation is done for all last calls not just recursive calls. It is sometimes called last-call optimisation. So you can write:
which will happily recurse forever without building stack. It also works with inter-module calls.
This is the classic way of implementing state machines: you change state by calling the next state function as a tail call. You could view the
Foomodule as implementing a state machine with 2 statesbarandbaz.peerreynders
Joe Armstrong: [erlang-questions] Tail call optimization