why
I noticed there are two broadcast/3 functions available in different modules:
MyApp.Endpoint.broadcast(topic, event, message)
Docs: “Broadcasts a msg as event in the given topic to all nodes.”
and
MyApp.Channel.broadcast(socket, event, message)
Docs: “Broadcast an event to all subscribers of the socket topic.”
The main difference seems to be in their use of topic vs socket.
I understand the use case of the first (“send a message to all who subscribe to topic XYZ”).
But what might be the practical use case of the second?
Thank you.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cenotaph
Documentation explained them succinctly.
When you want to send an update to everyone who wants information about
breaking newsyou would use the endpoint.When you want to send an update to only subscribers who wants information about
ginger catsand reside incat loverschannel, you would use the second one.NobbZ
Both do the same. They have been explained to me as “use
*.Channel.broadcastif you have the socket,*.Endpoint.broadcastotherwise”.why
Interesting, they indeed both broadcast to a topic.
I just looked at the implementation of both, and both use
*.Channel.Server.broadcastunder the hood.*.Endpoint:*.Channel:However, looking at this made me realize that my understanding of how sockets / channels / topics map to one another is incorrect / muddled.
When looking at the above
*.Channelimplementation as well as how the Socket struct is implemented, I notice that there is achannelkey and atopickey (both words singular).Now, I read somewhere that “multiple channels are multiplexed over one socket”. How would that work with the single
channeland singletopickeys in socket?Thanks for any enlightenment
why
I think I developed a clearer understanding now of how socket / channel / topic relate to one another.
In the Channels docs it says:
Additionally, this StackOverflow answer also really helps, as it illustrates how to define more than one channel in javascript (here with updated syntax):